The Lake Tanganyika is an over 10 million year old rift-valley lake in East-Africa and the second deepest lake in the world.
- See Wikipedias Lake Tanganyika entry for more geographical information. There is some interesting information about "fossil water" in the depth.
- Here is a great article on the Great Rift Lakes of East Africa, also covering Lake Tanganyika
- Another wonderful article on Lake Tanganyika
- See this great article on Lake Tanganyika and its different habitats
- Ad Konings wrote a book "Tanganyika cichlids in their natural habitat"
- Temperature: surface temp approx. 27-28 °C. A bit color in deeper regions, where most cichlids live (approx. 23-24 °C)
- pH: average 8.4
- hard water
- Conductance: about 600 µS
- Oxygen Zone: down to approx. 200 m
- Sight under water: up to 25 meter, cristal clear