cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
New to this forum, interested in convicts
Posted by: ArvLyn ()
Date: January 26, 2012 12:36AM

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum but not new to fish-keeping, I've had fish for at least 40 years. I'm not new to cichlids either, I've raised rainbow cichlids years ago.

I have 2 29g tanks set up right now. I will have 2 55g tanks set up this spring when my home office remodel is done in a month or two.

I would like to get some convicts. They'd be in a 29g for now.

My question is...how many can I have in the 29g? I'm thinking one pair. If I can have more than a pair, how many and what sexes?

Would they be okay with a pleco also in the tank?

These are my main questions for right now, I'll go back to reading through the posts in the forums. Thank you very much for your help!

Lynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to this forum, interested in convicts
Date: January 26, 2012 12:38AM

I also menat to say that I will have a Marineland Penguin dual bio-wheel filter 350 gph and a Marineland Penguin 660 powerhead 170 gph on the 29g tank.

Posted by: dright21 ()
Date: January 26, 2012 12:57PM

Sounds to me like you have some great filtration and a pair in a 29 is perfect. I would get them a cave or 2 to spawn in an start by feeding them flakes until your ready for them to breed then turn your temperature up to 80 and feed them Blood Worms and things will happen soon enough but I would advise you to start with about 4-6 Juvies and wait for them to pair off and remove the others. Good Luck

Date: January 26, 2012 04:31PM

Thank you for your help!

A couple more questions...

Would a pleco be okay in this setup?

Do I need dither fish? I'm thinking 3 to 5 tiger barbs, giant danios or cherry barbs. If I don't "need" them, can I still have them? winking smiley

I've been thinking of this rearrangement of my tanks for weeks now, I'm anxious to get started. I appreciate your help!

Posted by: dright21 ()
Date: January 29, 2012 11:29PM

Honestly most Common Pleco's get to big for even a 55 gallon so I would say no unless u plan to relocate the Pleco when it gets bigger. Dithers I would also say no too because most need to be in groups of 7-9 and you wouldn't have that kind of space once a pair is formed. I have Convicts in my 55 and they are with 8 Tiger Barbs. The Male Con literally hates them and the females ignore them. But in a smaller tank I know my Male would probably catch a few until he felt comfortable and that's no good. I would say stick with just the Pair after you get them and then eventually move up in tank size. Good Luck

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: January 30, 2012 01:07PM

She decided to get smaller gouramie's in stead.

They are going to do a bigger 150 gal tank soon for the cichlids they want..

READ her other post..

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.