cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
Tank size
Posted by: kimmidiane ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:05PM

I have a 60 gallon and a 46 gallon tank how many cichlids can I fit in each thanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tank size
Date: April 15, 2012 08:31PM

Research what Cichlids you want first from max size to aggressiveness... I've heard about the inch per gallon rule....I have 13 Africans in my 55 gallon but i have two filters running with alot of oxygen...I maxed out right now with 13

Posted by: tanktop ()
Date: May 05, 2012 11:42AM

Ya what he said. And the more hiding places the better.

Posted by: Dimidiochromis ()
Date: May 05, 2012 07:34PM

Depends...on a lot of things. As the above writers have posted, depends on species, hiding places, filtration, PURPOSE, etc.

i capitalized purpose because if you want to breed, then 2 or 3 or 4 (depending on species - 1 male and 1 or more females) is your limit. If you want a community cichlid tank, then more obviously, but be aware, fish size as a matter of length is not a good measure. Here's why:

As fish (or any animal) grows, generally speaking as it doubles in length, it also doubles in width and in depth. so, for example, a tank suitable for (8) 1 inch fish, may only be suitable for (1) 2 inch fish (it doubled in length, width and height = *2*2*2)

or so... it's not an exact science,

SOOO... for your 60 gallon, about 6-10 4-inch cichlids if it's real well filtered. about 4-8 in the smaller tank.

BUT, you can add smaller (but tough) fish like cats or sharks, so it's not a "hard" rule.

Observe your fish. Get to know them. You will eventually recognize signs of overcrowding and stress.

Posted by: JLesPaul59 ()
Date: July 18, 2012 02:43PM

To expound on what has been already said. I feel water changes is the key. Filtration definitely needs to be able to handle the load, but adequate water changes will go very far in keeping your fish happy. I agree with Dimidiochromis though, observe your fish. Very soon you will learn what is normal behavior for them and what is not. Follow your instincts!
JLesPaul59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.