cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
Should I strip my cichlid?
Posted by: ja323 ()
Date: December 21, 2010 05:43PM

I have a 2.5 inch pregnant electric yellow cichlid she is in a tank with a male and a small SAP. This is the fifth time she has held eggs, but the first 4 only lasted 1.5 weeks.

Today is exactly 3 weeks from when I first noticed. She has also been eating a couple of flakes each day for the past 3 days and is really rumbling it around in her mouth. I am not sure If I should move her and wait to see if she release them or strip them. I have never had a pregnant cichlid have fish. Any advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 05:44PM by ja323.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I strip my cichlid?
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: December 21, 2010 07:48PM

First they are NOT pregnate, they are mouth brooders. She wil hold Eggs then fry and she wil hold them until she almost dies if U dont' have enough deco (rocks) in the tank for her to release them in. (those fry matts work great too!)

So YES U need to either move her to her own tank where she wil release them on her own AS IN no other fish threat for the fry, place in more suitable rocks/fry matt or strip her of the fry to be housed in a different tank..

IF she is holding for 3 weeks, the fry are needing to EAT too!! So do something soon..

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Date: December 21, 2010 08:54PM

I split the tank with a piece of plexiglass so she is alone. That should suffice right?

Date: December 21, 2010 10:48PM

Should but she can see the others and that might keep her from spiting them out. She'l probibley spit them out in a day or so when she realizes they can not get to her.

IN 2 days intice her with some flake food. but just a little!!!

Date: December 23, 2010 06:01PM

She still did not spit them out so I carefully netted her (kept her underwater) and was planning on trying to strip the fry/eggs. She started freaking out in the net and out came to whitish colored masses. One was a small oval shape and the other was like three of the first joined into one solid mass. Within 20 seconds she calmed and took both back into her mouth. I am pretty certain that this past Tuesday was three weeks.

Could there be something wrong? Or if I was mistaken and Tuesday was only two weeks would they still be eggs?

Date: December 23, 2010 06:46PM

No they should be pretty much on their own at even 2 weeks. NET her again and with her head out of the water, take your pinky nail adn gently pry open her mouth and then dunk her head under water STILL having her mouth open and gently sway her back and forth some to get the fry out. IF they are stil egg attached. leave her in the bucket? other and let her reclaim them.. EASY to do so dont' give up..

U know she might have another clutch of eggs/fry developing so she spit the others out and is holding again.. They do that often..

IF that is the case, then leaver her alone for another week 1/2 and see how she does..

Date: December 24, 2010 12:32PM

Thanks for the help. I am a bit worried about letting her go longer though as she is only 2.5 inches, and she hasn't really eaten in over 3 weeks. She is looking very thin.

Posted by: chAos ()
Date: January 02, 2011 01:46PM

seperate her if you have another tank i dont think shell spit out those fry unless she knows its safe to

Date: January 20, 2011 01:08PM

Well she started eating again on December 26. I am posting in this thread because I think the info my be relevant to my current question.

I believed I had one male and one female, but the one I believed to be a male started holding yesterday. The one I believe to be a female still doesn't seem ready to hold again. I have read that males never hold. But could it be possible if she is unwilling? This is the third time I have seen this one hold, but it never lasts for more then 3 days.

Female previously holding:

One I believed to be a male:

Date: January 20, 2011 04:01PM

I would say HE is holding, I have seen another post of the same situation with an male Elec yellow doing the same.. this may be why he only holds for a few days, NOT normal for him to do so..

Patients here, they wil get it right later on and then U will have to many fry to deal with.. LOL..

Date: February 11, 2011 06:25PM

She started holding again on 1-29-11 and I separated her on 2-1-11. Today I gave her a couple of flakes for the first time and she flared out her gills and kind of tumbled the eggs as she was eating them. However one of the eggs came out of her opened gill and floated up to the top.

She has not taken it back, and I am not sure they are suppose to be floating. Its about two weeks now as well. What should I do with it and what does that mean?

Date: February 11, 2011 11:57PM

most fertile eggs sink. IS it white or tannish?? White is not a fertile egg so I would net it out..

IF they are stil eggs on week two, they are not fertile.. U should be able to see the tail or head coming out of the egg about now..

Date: February 26, 2011 05:00PM

They where yellowish actually. She held for over 3 weeks.

I still have her separated and to my surprise today the other one which I had thought was a male has a mouth full of eggs. So I guess I have two females and that was the reason for all of this.

I will have to try to find a male I guess. Thanks for all the help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.