cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
What is better Sand or gravel?
Posted by: conor_neil ()
Date: February 14, 2010 10:20AM

I have a malawi cichlid tank and i have gravel and i was debaiting weather to change to sand. I but i have heard you can clean it like you can gravel is this true ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is better Sand or gravel?
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: February 14, 2010 09:43PM

NO U can not clean it like U do the gravel. U hve to swish the vac over the sand to make the waste/other float then hoover the vac over it.. It is best to remove all deco when U have a sand tank, OR at least 1/2 to get to all the waste that can get caught in them.. BUT read below on what I do in my heavy rocked tanks..

IF U hve to much rock to other in the tank, it makes it hard to do a good vac in sand.. IT also takes practice to NOT suck up to much sand as U go. IF U do get to much, U just have to pinch off the hose and let it fall back into the tank.
IF U empty into a bucket, then U can just replace it back later.

I also stop before I am done vacuuming and I lose to much water, and place in NEW water and blow out the deco to the front of the tank then pic it up with the vac. works good.. Again, this takes practice an not a hard stream of water back in, or U can blow it all through out the tank..

My favorite tank of as now. With Black Tahitain moon sand and texas Holey rock..OLd pic but looks about the same..

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 09:49PM by Barb Okla.

Posted by: Sticks ()
Date: February 16, 2010 12:24AM

I think sand is better, I used 2 have gravel and now have sand. It keeps tha tank cleaner. If u put ur hand in your tank and stir up tha gravel , all tha poop and un eaten food will b floating around in your tank. But if u do tha same with sand that's not gonna b as bad cuzz it just sits at tha top. I don't bother with using a gravel vack 2 clean tha sand. By mistake I found out that using a fish net works 4 me. Just get a fish net that holes r not 2 big, scoop up tha sand and shake it. Tha sand falls through tha net but tha poop and everything else that u don't want sitting in yo tank stays in tha net then u just clean tha net and start over agin

Posted by: conor_neil ()
Date: February 16, 2010 04:15PM

ok thanks is that texas holey rock better than pebbles ?
by the way your tank is verry nice man
My tank is a 60 gallon and currently has pebbles and kongo sand but i realy like the look of that texas holey rock.

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: February 16, 2010 09:38PM

U say pebbles, I take it they are bigger than that?? Pebbles here are like quarter size and smaller.. The holey rock is nice but very expensive. some going for 4.00 LB. crazy really, it is just rock. but man what a statment it can make!!

Some other rock U might get cheaper, Feather or lace rock. It is black to dark gray and looks awsome in a tank. Very light weight too.. Easy to drill holes in.. I am going to get some soon..

Here is a tank in Lace rock... U can go through the pics to find some great pics of tanks and what ppl did to deco them out!

[www.cichlids.com]

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.