cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
cichlids at top of tank
Posted by: Reba47 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 10:06AM

Hello, I cleaned my tank on Sunday, I noticed today that most of the cichlids are at the top of the water, breathing, I think...Could someone tell me what is up with this..I checked the PH and adjusted it, also added stress stuff and water soft.
Please advise,
Thanks,
Becky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cichlids at top of tank
Posted by: Willie G ()
Date: November 16, 2009 01:47PM

Well, if they are breathing, thats a good sign, when they stop, then it would be time to really worry. Let's get some tank schematics first and we can go from there. It is far easier to correct what is wrong, when we know not only what is actually wrong, but also what caused it.

Temperature?
pH?
kH?
TDS?
Ammonia?
Nitrates?
Nitrites?
Ammount of Water Change?
Filter Type?
Filter Cleaned how often?
Water changed how often?
Total water changed?
Filter Model/Make?

We can start here. The faster you reply, the faster I can help you.

Posted by: Willie G ()
Date: November 16, 2009 01:48PM

I should also ask what type of fish your keeping.

Date: November 16, 2009 02:00PM

Hi, I did a pretty good cleaning, maybe 1/4 of water left out of 55 gall.
I put my other filter on which I had not cleaned out totally and the fish seem to be doing better. Ph was 7.2 which I have lowered temp is 72=75
I really couldn't tell you any of the other b/c I don't really know. I am keeping Africans and Jack Dempsy's. They all seemed to be bothered. Only a few are still at the top and the other's are swimming around now.
Thanks,
Becky

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: November 16, 2009 03:42PM

THE first PROBLEM here is U took out to much water.

NEVER go below 50% in a tank at one time!!

Any air stones in this tank??

Test for Ammonia and nitrites within a few days to a week to see if U started a mini cycle after removing so much water..

72F?? (22c) WAY to low.. 75F (23c+) is better.

IF U added in COLDER water than what was in the tank, then U shocked them.. Always make sure your water temp is WITHIN 3F either way when replacing back in water and Warmer is always better than cooler..

African cichlids need a high Ph of 7.6 to 8.6. AND med to hard water, GH/KH..

The JD is the only one suitable for a Ph of 7.2 with soft water conditions, AND U lowered it more?? BAD for the Africans..

THE JD will do fine in a higher Ph than the African cichlids in a lower one..

Ajusting your water chemistery is not advisable unless U keep the fish required for that kind of ajustments..

It seems the water conditions U have now without buffers/other, are really just suited for American cichlids only.. Which is fine, but IF U plan to keep Africans, then U need a buffer to increase the GH/KH so the Ph will come up naturally with them. 7.2 is to low to keep them in..
THE JD is the only one that likes that..

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Date: November 16, 2009 04:45PM

Thanks, I really didn't know what # the ph should be at..I have had these guys for 3 yrs and they live thru anything I put in that water. Die hards.lol
They all seem to be ok now. Thanks for all the info. I will keep copy of it.No air stones, my air pump went bad about a month ago. Just haven't gotten one yet.
I always add water a little bit warmer then what they had..
I don't usually mess with my water, but b/c they were acting strange I thought I would add some stuff.
Thanks so much for the info.
Becky

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: November 17, 2009 02:41PM

IF U are not going to run a airstone in the tank, at least keep the water down so your outflow from your filter can spash just a little bit into the tank. This will add in much needed Oxygen into the water..

For all your cichlids to do good, the Ph should be at 7.6 and up. Just do not place in anything OTHER than dechlorinator and salt IF U use it.
BUT just out of your "tap" is fine. they are used to it as U have had them for years..

Right now, just leave it be. they have acclimated to this water.

ON your next cleaning, just VAC as much as U can BUT DO NOT remove more than 1/2 of the tanks water.. Leave the water level down so U can get oxygen into the water. Once U get a air pump, AND a Check Valve to prevent water from siphoning back down into the pump on power outages, I place my check valves right below the rim on the back out side of the tank.. OR U can just place the pump higher than the tank, hard to do really and it does vibrate if left on the tank. I am sure the fish do not appreciate that!! Then U can level off the tank water to full..

If I am going to do a VERY good cleaning, I remove ALL THE DECO before I start. this way U can vac it good and not lose to much water.. (notice thou, how far down the water level goes once U remove all the deco, mostly rocks. This is displaced water volume.) So when U get done vacuuming the gravel??, return all the deco BEFORE U add back in the fresh water..

Great on the return fresh water temp. This is a shocker to fish if it is to cold from what they are in..

Breathing ON top of the water meant NONE in the water itself!! So they were gasping at the top.. Run your filter as I said and this wil take care of the problems UNTIL U get another aip-pump and a check valve for EVERY air line...

U need to know your Ph in the tank AND what comes out of the Fauset.. U said 7.2 and U lowered it?? NOT good.

The only problem I see is U took out to much water at once. then NO air in the water makes it hard for them to breath so they were on the top gasping.

Barb

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Date: November 17, 2009 02:50PM

Thanks Barb for all the info, it was horrible watching them gasp for air like that, I won't do that again. I usually never mess with anything and just add salt to the water and they do fine. It was my fault, but they are better now. Going to get a pump this wknd probably mine broke a couple of months ago and I just haven't had the money to buy anything else. Will check out your site.
Thanks Again,
Becky

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.