cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
Help with sex of Yellow Labs... Pics included...
Posted by: iheartmycichlids ()
Date: May 27, 2009 08:11PM

Hi there. I've vented all three of my yellow labs and I think they are all female. Can someone else look and tell me if I'm right or wrong? Thanks!!!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with sex of Yellow Labs... Pics included...
Posted by: moneymaker82206 ()
Date: May 28, 2009 01:54PM

i dont think you can tell by looking at the underbelly as pish dont have protuding genetaial like us mamals. im going to give you a guess but remember i could be wrong but normally the male is bigger than the females, like my mated pair of convicts. so i think fish 1 is a male and the other two are female. only a guess though.

Posted by: gingercichlid ()
Date: May 28, 2009 08:29PM

Normally a malawi cichlid with a egg spot on its anal fin is an indication of a male. although very small spots can be present on females.
check for egg spots, and also check to see if their is any dominance from a particular lab, this again will indicate if its a male or female.
good luck.

Posted by: tonyandsandy1of2 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 10:30PM

On my males the dorsal, pelvic & anal fins have the vivid black. My females have the black on the dorsal, but very little to no black on the pelvic & anal. Also the dorsal & anal fins come to more of a point on the male as the females are more 'rounded' @ the tips. Hopes this helps.

Posted by: Alphie ()
Date: June 08, 2009 10:19PM

My best guess on 1 and 2 are that they are female. Number 3 I would say is a male.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: HeyAinokea ()
Date: October 02, 2009 10:30AM

I'm new to raising cichlids and started with 5 1.5" Electric yellow juvies. I noticed that males grew faster than the females. Just like what tonyandsandy1of2 says "males dorsal, pelvic & anal fins have the vivid black while females has verry little to no black on the pelvic & anal fins".

Posted by: 4fish ()
Date: October 02, 2009 01:14PM

I am not able to tell by the pics, sorry. My guess would be that #1 & #2 are female and #3 is male based on the deepness of the black on the pectoral fins. I don't know how to vent fish so I won't even attempt to walk you through that. I will say there are two ways to limit it down but only one way I can tell just by looking at them. First, if the front dorsal fins have a lot of black on the edges I would lean towards male (although I do have female juveniles with this). Second, look at the pelvic fin and look for the egg spot(s). If the spot is not clearly defined and at the top point of the fin I would lean towards female. Males are usually clearly defined and a little farther down on the fin or inset a little bit. The only sure fire way I can tell is when they get about 2.5" and the males get their second anal spot. So far I have not seen a female with 2 egg spots but all of my males have had them. I am basing this off of my own breeding pairs and the 5 batches of babies I have had so far. Someone far more knowledgeable may be able give you a point/counterpoint on my statements above but using these methods I have been able to determine the sexes of my fish.

75gal Malawi - Electric Yellows, Demasoni's, Elongatus Mpanga's, Red Top Hongi's, Red Zebra's, Bumble Bee's, Yellow Fin Mbamba's, Elongatus Chewere, and two Albino Bristlenose

180gal C/A - 1 Green Terror, 1 Red Devil, 1 Jack Dempsey, 1 EB Jack Dempsey, 5 Salvini's, 5 Firemouths, 2 Bolivian Rams, 3 Red Ceibal's, 2 Red Cap Tapajos, and 2 Albino Bristle Nose

55gal Peacock - Strawberry, Ruby Red, Sunshine, Sulfer Head, Intermedius, Benga, and Eureka.

Posted by: supragsx ()
Date: August 14, 2011 10:25AM

I know this is about 2 years old but I just joined and will make a post hope it helps in the future.
Males have a black stripe through their eyes, females do not. This is the best way to sex them and u can see it when they are about 1/4" fry

Posted by: supragsx ()
Date: August 14, 2011 10:46AM

Here is a link to some pics u can see the male has the stripe and the female doesn't. Can't always go by the black on fins as u can see in a few the female has some dark black.

[www.cichlidforums.com]

Posted by: kimmidiane ()
Date: September 08, 2011 04:43PM

i have a male yellow lab. one way you can tell by looking at them is the males have dark fins on the bottom and the main way is that the males will get a black bar or stripe through their eyes. my male has both.

Posted by: kay-bee19 ()
Date: September 16, 2011 07:11PM

supragsx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Can't always go by the black on fins...

Agreed. Here are pics of a couple of my mouthbrooding female yellow labs:

-----------------

Several Rift Lake and Reef Aquariums

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.