cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
fiddler crab
Posted by: deputycorps ()
Date: January 18, 2008 11:03AM

So I bought a "fiddler crab" from wal-mart (which i normally never buy fish from wal-mart but this guy working there has been taking good care of the fish/tanks) at midnight when they werent there. Now i take some of the blame as i normrally research before i buy. Well i read the little sign they had posted about the "fiddler crab". Said that they are great bottom feeders, do not bother other fish, which ones were male and female, look out they escape, and the temps and stuff. Now these crabs were at the bottom of the tank eating inbetween the rocks. NO WHERE did i read or did it say that were brackish (think thats how you spell it). I notice this after i research it (crabs had already been in put into the tank). Now i been looking at them for about 2 hours last night, and seen one this morning. I notice that those darn convicts were picking at him a bit. Dont know if they were just checking it out because they did the same to the snails, however they leave the snails alone now. So will my crabs live, or did i waste money on them? Will my Africans, South Americans, and/or catfish eat the crabs. Any and all information will help Thank you.
Tank is 125gal with 250lbs of lace rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 11:03AM by deputycorps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fiddler crab
Posted by: kay-bee19 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 07:45PM

I'm not an expert on them but fiddler's can live in brackish water and even full saltwater. From what I understand they're typically found on beaches and are would appreciate at least brackish water.

Not only that but they're not full aquatic and will require access to air or they will eventually drown.

I got 'duped' once and purchased a female fiddler crab (was told by the LFS it was a 'strawberry crab'). I soon discovered what it was and that it required access to air, but I already had it in my saltwater tank where it lived for a couple of weeks and died (there was no way it could access air in the tank).

Cichlids will eventually make a meal out of any small crustacean (unless the crustacean is aggressive or predatory and capable of eating the fish its with).

-----------------

Several Rift Lake and Reef Aquariums

Posted by: deputycorps ()
Date: January 19, 2008 04:54AM

Yewah i was told that they could live for maybe a couple of months maybe!! I agree that they will become meals as my the king (the convict that rules the tank male) as been tryin to attack it. Lucky it has enough hiding spaces smiling smiley Thanks for the respone

Posted by: Shark ()
Date: January 21, 2008 09:38AM

Keep in mind too that even the most aggressive and crafty crab or lobster when it grows has to shed his shell and grow a new one - and at that time is completely vulnerable to any attacker! - and will make a tasty snack!
If you really like the crab - buy a little 10 gallon tank, and make a little brackish water mangrove set up for him so that he can go in and out of the water as he pleases.
Good Luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.