cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
55 gallon and Mbuna populations?
Posted by: Cordawg ()
Date: November 28, 2007 02:59PM

Hello

Ok it seems every where i go iam given 400 diffrent answers on how many mbuna can be kept in a 55 gallon tank. Is there one general rule that i should follow taking into account for bottom feeders and mbunas natural tempers issues, assuming you have the normal 6x gph filtration and good airation? On how many mbuna can be in a 55 gallon safely.

Im asking this in general not for my tank specificly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank yousmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 55 gallon and Mbuna populations?
Posted by: CichlidStorm ()
Date: November 28, 2007 06:07PM

For breeding purposes, 1" per 5 gallons, for community, 1" per 3 gallon, its easy

Current Tanks: (So far Back up and running)

75 Pseudotropheus Demasoni Tank
55 Labidiochromis Caereleus
55 Geophagus Nieva
55 Labidiochromis Hongi, Yellow Top
55 Cyno. Moorii
30 Julidiochromis Ornatus
30 Julidiochromis Transcriptus Gombi
30 Callochromis Brichardi
20 Julidiochromis Marlieri Burundi
10 Labidiochromis Caereleus
10 Pseudotropheus Demasoni Fry
10 Julidiochromis Marlieri Fry
10 Labidiochromis Hongi YT Fry

Posted by: CichlidStorm ()
Date: November 28, 2007 06:08PM

means 8-12 Mbuna in a 55, or 8-12 Peacocks, not a combo, this is a disaster waiting to happen

Current Tanks: (So far Back up and running)

75 Pseudotropheus Demasoni Tank
55 Labidiochromis Caereleus
55 Geophagus Nieva
55 Labidiochromis Hongi, Yellow Top
55 Cyno. Moorii
30 Julidiochromis Ornatus
30 Julidiochromis Transcriptus Gombi
30 Callochromis Brichardi
20 Julidiochromis Marlieri Burundi
10 Labidiochromis Caereleus
10 Pseudotropheus Demasoni Fry
10 Julidiochromis Marlieri Fry
10 Labidiochromis Hongi YT Fry

Posted by: kay-bee19 ()
Date: November 28, 2007 07:20PM

General rules don't work in all instances. Some males of certain species have low tolerance to males of their own kind, and other species need to be kept in large groups.

Basically it all depends on what species you stock and in what gender ratio's. If you achieve a balance you could stock 8-16 comfortably. There are stocking decisions which can de-rail that balance:

A 55gal tank with 16 mbunas comprised of 6 yellow labs, 3 red zebras, 1 johanni, and six acei will work.

A 55gal tank with 16 mbunas comprised of 6 demasoni, 6 yellow labs and 4 rusty cichlids won't work (demasoni vs demasoni will likely result in 1 demasoni remaining).

A 55gal tank with 16 mbuna's comprised of 4 auratus (2 males, 2 female), 4 kenyi (3 males, 1 female), 4 socolofi and 4 hongi won't work (the male auratus and kenyi will be prone to elimate the respecive males of their own kind; additionally some recommend keeping kenyi & auratus in tanks no smaller than 75gal due to their hyperdominance).

-----------------

Several Rift Lake and Reef Aquariums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 07:21PM by kay-bee19.

Posted by: Bill B ()
Date: May 12, 2008 03:04AM

I would respectfully submit that 1" for 3 gal is way too little. One fish for 3 gal may be what you intended to say. Using the 1" rule would result in about 4 5" mbunas. The reason there may have been 400 different answers is because there probably are 400 different answers. It depends on so many things, but particularly the natural temperament of a species and the actual temperament of individual fish. I have had a red zebra that got along with everyone. I replaced it with a prettier one and he was much more aggressive. I believe, very generally that fish that grow up together have a tendency to get along better - the less naturally aggressive the breed is the more likely this is true. Fish that are naturally more aggressive seem to learn to get along better when they start as one of the smaller fish. Not having females of the most aggressive fish tends to make the tank more harmonious. It is very much a case by case basis with basic tendencies to go by. Perhaps it is part of the fun of fish keeping to see if you can find a relatively harmonious balance in your tanks. I do not keep very aggressive fish like Demasoni, Auratus and Crabro. In my tanks I would say at least 15 perhaps as many as 20 including a few cats and plecs and 2-4 Acei who like to stay at the top of the tank. I trade away bullies that just swim around the whole tank looking for trouble. YRMV smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.