cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
convict and african cichlid
Posted by: secto1 ()
Date: August 05, 2007 01:43AM

can thease two share tank space i was thinking bout getting 2 convicts to add to my tank of 8 cichlids.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: convict and african cichlid
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: August 05, 2007 11:11AM

They can but not a good idea if you get TWO and they become a pair..
This alone wil make life with the Africans VERY stressfull once they spawn..

IF you just have to have ANY American cichilds, please get another tank JUST for them.. they eat more meaty foods that are higher in protiens and Africans have problems digesting and WILL cause Bloat and that means DEATH..

SO really not a good idea...

It is more than a container with fish!!
I HAD 12 tanks running!! but moved so only 4 going strong!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2007 11:11AM by Barb Okla.

Posted by: lovejonesx ()
Date: August 06, 2007 10:09AM

For the most part,...Convicts can be kept in a pretty wide range of water parameters as long as they are stable parametrs.

PH: 6.0 to 8.0

So while they CAN be kept with some African Cichlids,....I wopuld never doit & would never advise anyone else to do so.

LJx

Posted by: piscesfish8 ()
Date: December 14, 2007 12:23AM

i have some African Convicts in my tank lately during feeding they have become more aggressive towards the other smaller fish.I have some gray and black striped. And some that's a powder pink tint and they are the largest they have had babies and they are very territorial they ram they smaller fish into object in they aquarium if they get to close my smaller fish spend most of the time hiding and I don't see them eat I'm very concern. and which are male or female

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: December 15, 2007 11:39AM

Hey piscesfish, best to remove the cons to their own tank.. they are very aggressive to others in a tank.. They are pigs and breed like rabbits so it is best to place them in their own tank.. Your others won't be able to eat as long as they are in the tank..

IF U can and the tank is big enough, get a divider and keep them on one small side until U can get another tank OR ask Your LFS if they wil take the convicts for trade for other cichlids..

It is more than a container with fish!!
I HAD 12 tanks running!! but moved so only 4 going strong!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.