cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
black spots on cichlid
Posted by: pickle20008 ()
Date: December 07, 2006 12:07PM

well i have noticed one of my fish got this black spot of the side of his body and then another one of the other side, they seem to be getting bigger,there not all jus perfect circles, like a black smuge, then another cichlid got a black spot and now it looks like black line coming from it, can someone help me out and will they go away or what do i need to treat this? thank u very much for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: black spots on cichlid
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: December 07, 2006 05:48PM

This is called Black Spot and it is a parasite.. This can really get bad if you dont' TREAT THE WHOLE TANK with CopperSafe or AquaSol.. this is a copper based salt so be careful NOT to over dose the tank.. Take out all carbon from the filters as this removes it fast.. This wil KILL any invertabrates, like snails, lobsters, crayfish, so remove them if you have them to another tank..

With AquaSol, U use it once a month for continue control of this, and velvet and other protozones that can harm your fish..

With Copper Safe it is not a monthly dose as far as I know.. I use the above and my black spots are mostly gone..

Date: December 07, 2006 08:53PM

i have used coppersafe, they never went awaya, will the black spots go away? so what do u recommend me getting to treat it? thank u

Date: December 07, 2006 08:55PM

sorry for posting again but where do i get AquaSol? thank u

Posted by: elijah ()
Date: December 08, 2006 11:32AM

Possibly it could just be scratches from rock/caves

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: December 08, 2006 01:18PM

Are you in the USA or another country? As this is found only in a on-line-fish store.. So if you can do it this way great.. IF not, then SOME fish stores may be able to get you this med.. it is highly concentrated so dont' over dose..

[www.drsfostersmith.com]

Also ON the first HOME page, you can get a catalog sent to you FREE.. EVERYONE should do this..AND sign up for E-Mails of great deals they have going..

Also check out here for more great deals And again FREE catalog/E-Mail AND compair PRICES as some are cheaper than others on many items:

[www.petsolutions.com]

[www.petsmart.com]

[www.bigalsonline.com]

How long have you used this in the tank?? I mean my Black spots took forever to go away.. like 2 months.. As I did treat a 125 gal tank it seems to take longer in a big tank.. In a smaller tank you might have faster results..

BUT if you stil have some of the copper Safe in this tank, OR it has NOT been over two weeks from the first dose,YOU NEED to give it more time to work.. IF it has been longer and NO results, then best to WAIT and run FRESH carbon to get it out and several water changes BEFORE you add in this one.. Just to be on the safe side..

These are hard core parasites and they have a hard shell on them to protect them from meds.. As this are micro sized, you can not see them but see the black shell they are incased within.. they multiply on the fish like crazy as that is why you see lines of them taking off on the fish.. They feed off the fishes fluids and they scratch/glance/rub on deco as this is like a flea to them.. This could BE the only way the meds can get to them is when they dislodge them.. SO the meds take longer to get them gone..

I have READ about them as I had/have them still but they are not to evident but I see them coming back.. I have NOT dosed my tank in a few months with the AquaSol but plan to do so today after a tank cleaning.. IF you keep the meds in the tank all the time, then they seem to NOT get them but it also seems they come back.. AS I am seeing them again.. Hummm.. not good, but treatable if caught earily, I wil mark a calander and see how long the few black spots take to leave the fish.. My Red Zebras are always the ones to get them first..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2006 01:22PM by Barb Okla.

Posted by: kay-bee19 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 06:25PM

pickle20008,

What type of cichlids do you have and what are you feeding? And do you have any pics?

Some mbuna develop temporary black spots if fed a diet high in spirulina ('spirulina spots'), some of my red zebras get this on some occasions. They usually fade away, but can recur. Not saying your fish as this, but could be a possibility, especially if your cichlids are in great health despite the spots.

Could also be black spot disease (but I'm inclined not to suspect it to be the case due to the elaborate life cycle of black spot disease: originates from adult parasitic worms within infected fish-eating birds; droppings from these infected birds which land in the water containing eggs are eaten by snails, the snails are then eaten by fish (the eggs develop into larvae and the fish develop black spots),and the birds eat the fish, containing the larvae, to repeat the cycle over again).

Date: December 09, 2006 01:32PM

all the coopersafe is out of my tank i'm sure since i have but in new carbon and it's been about 3 weeks and i have done some water changes, i jus bought that jungle parasite stuff cause it says on the back on it black specs on your fish and i didn't really see anything else that spec. said black spots on the box, my ahli has it all over him and has had it since i had him i thought maybe it was jus something to do with his coloration b/c it don't seem to bother any of the fish as they all eat normal still and don't have any unusaly behavior, so i'll jus wait it out and hope it get's better, i jus don't want to have to get rid of my fish b/c of this, thank u very much for all your info as i have looked up black spot disease and have found pretty much nothing, u told me more then i ever found on here, any further info would be great, thank u

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.