cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
fish twitching ????
Posted by: pickle20008 ()
Date: September 24, 2006 09:08PM

i jus noticed one of my fish started twitching and keeps doing it and his fins aren't really spread out like they usally are? anyone know what it is and what can i do about it? thank u

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fish twitching ????
Posted by: steve kenyi ()
Date: September 24, 2006 11:09PM

Many cichlids do this. The male often does a vibrating kind of twitch to impress the females and eventually mate. Cichlids often do this as a sign of agression. After twitching, what does he/she do. If your fish chases another fish or blocks another fish from passing and twitches, then it is one of the two reasons I listed above. If the fish is twitching constantly in a slow manner and swimming sideways or upside down then there are other problems.

Date: September 24, 2006 11:15PM

well i jus put two new fish in today and it jus started doing it, it's not swimming funny or anything , all the fish are pretty small, how young do they have to be to get there grove on and become pregant?

Posted by: ghostface ()
Date: September 25, 2006 12:44PM

Like Steve said, my male Kenyi does this to impress the female. Are the fish the same species??

Date: September 25, 2006 01:46PM

i have african cichlids but the one doing it is the albino snow white, it's the only one in there

Posted by: steve kenyi ()
Date: September 25, 2006 03:59PM

Depending on the cichlid, the can become pregnant of various sizes. Generally, I would say that 3 inches is a good size for mating. Keep in mind that african cichlid males are very rough and agressive towards females and may kill them if they are much smaller. Females should be around the same size as the males and capable of defending themselves. Keep at least two females with the male to distract him a little and avoid one female from getting too beat up. Africans are usually mouth brooders. The female carries the eggs in her mouth, the babies hatch in her mouth and she keeps them there for awhile. She will not eat for a while and may get really thin. You will notice a lump in her throat. It is best to remove her as the male loves to try to mate again and will bother her or kill her when she rejects his advances. The female also becomes agressive and will fight off other fish. If she feels threatened, she may carry the fry in her mouth for too long and eventually end up starving and die. If you have different kinds of africans, you may wind up with hybrids.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.