cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
Egg spots
Posted by: Martin ()
Date: May 04, 2006 08:16AM

Do only males have egg spots or do females have them as well?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Egg spots
Posted by: kay-bee19 ()
Date: May 04, 2006 10:16AM

Egg-spots exist on both genders, and their presence is not an indicator of gender. Males may have more or larger egg spots, but not always.

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: May 04, 2006 10:26AM

Most males have more egg spots than the females.. You can tell the sexes this way "ON MOST" African cichlids at a young age.. The males have one to a parchal spot and the females have none to a parchal one.. The females will get more egg spots later depending on the species.. I notice on the Cobalt blues, white Zebras, and a few others I can't recall right now, that the males get theirs first and the females dont' have any at a young age, 4-6 months.. The Red Zebras are an exception to this thou, as the males have 3 or more and the females can have just as many at that age but they are not as defined and as big as the males are.. Interesting how the species are divided that way..

IF you are ever in question on the sex of one, the males get bigger and bully the others in the tank at a fish store, look for the egg spot to one not having any and the size of them, the females HIDE to avoid the males, even at 2" the males still want to spawn and wil dig nests in the gravel or take over a corner of the tank for a nesting place....

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Posted by: Martin ()
Date: May 04, 2006 10:44AM

Thank you for the info. Next time I go to the LFS I will watch the fish for a while before deciding on which ones I want. This will be a great help. I did notice that the red zebras have more egg spots than all the other fish in my tank. One of them evem has some spots on his dorsal fin as well as the anal fin.

Date: May 04, 2006 11:22AM

Their should be NO egg spots on the dosal fin.. That is the top fin right?? Egg spots are only on the bottom anal fin.. IF they look like the egg spots on as these, then this cichilds is not a pure breed AND or your fish has a parasite problem.. Any way for you to get a pic and post it in the ATTACH at the bottom of the post?? You must be a member to do this..

Posted by: kaybee19 ()
Date: May 04, 2006 03:10PM

Red zebras actually do have markings resembling egg spots on their dorsals (but they're red-orange in color instead of yellowish). All of my male red zebras appear to have these (while they're absent or nearly absent among the females). But they're not egg-spots in the traditional sense of the word.

Date: May 04, 2006 04:01PM

Ok as I read this from Kaybee19 and watching my oldest male, he has these spots too, the oldest female, at 6 years, also has them. They are very faint on the back end of the dorsal fin.. I just never noiced them before..tongue sticking out smiley

SO my eariler post on parasites is NOT a possibility..grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.