cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
goldfish and cichlids
Posted by: keith ()
Date: June 04, 2005 08:43AM

hi my friend is considering placing red forest jewel cichlids with their goldfish, will they be able to live in harmony?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: goldfish and cichlids
Posted by: doins ()
Date: June 06, 2005 02:58PM

a big no to that one mate... goldfish will become cichlid food...

Posted by: van ()
Date: August 18, 2005 09:43PM

no dont do it. i had 3 small goldfish in my 55 gallon tank with my 3 auratus and 2 electric johhni i put them in that night and they were gone the next day

Posted by: DCart ()
Date: August 18, 2005 11:40PM

I wouldn't suggest it... but i've kinda always wanted to see what would happen if you mix some random aggressive cichlid (like a jewel perhaps) with one of those bubble-eye goldfish.... Let me know how it works.

"This is how I see it: If you were a fish, would you like getting punched? No I don't think so, I know I wouldn't."

Posted by: Terry ()
Date: August 19, 2005 09:18AM

No, no, no!!! People buy cheapo goldfish to feed their cichlids. Goldfish are gentle and any aggressive fish will hurt or eat them. I couldn't even put pink kissing guaramis in with my very large goldfish. If guaramis attacked them, just imagine what a cichlid would do.

Posted by: SabrinaD ()
Date: August 19, 2005 05:22PM

I have seen a SA cichlid tank (Oscars and conivcts) with a bunch of goldfish. The goldfish keep together in the tank and the others don't really seem to bother them that much (unless they leave the safety of the school).

SabrinaD

Posted by: Terry ()
Date: August 19, 2005 07:48PM

My guess is they keep a certain amount of goldfish in that tank as feeders and as the cichlids pick them off they replenish them.

I remember you posting about this before and saying the goldfish were a pretty good size, which means they probably started as feeders and the SA's left them alone because they are already well fed. Didn't you also say that this was a display or public tank?

It certainly isn't an ideal situation for the poor goldfish. In Keith's friend's position those goldfish would be goners. The jewels would kill them whether they were hungry or not.

Posted by: SabrinaD ()
Date: August 20, 2005 12:56AM

It's in a rec center. The guy who owns it is the director there (i think). I can ask someone I know who worked there if they ever found missing goldfish, or if the guy ever bought any more, but that won't be for a while until I see them again. I agree it wasn't a nice exsitance for the goldfish though because they were limited on where they could be in the tank and be safe.

I don't know about goldfish and jewels but I had tetras (black/white skirts) with my male jewel for a long while (9 months before I decided on a change), of course they were larger than he could eat in two bites. I messed up once thinking he was peaceful enough and put a little fish in and he ate it.

SabrinaD

Posted by: Nelliy ()
Date: December 29, 2010 10:35PM

i have 6 large goldfish most of them qre the size of ur fist or whole hand,i have 5 tiger barbs,5 feeder fish,2 red tail sharks,7 mollies,1 red forrest jewel bigger then 10 cm long and its a female and 10 baby tetras ... i breed my mollies as a hoby .. and my forrest jewel dosent mind the othhers it just sits there and swims along . normally a goldfish comes along and wacks it in the face by accident and the jewel dosent mind , but my sharks no somthing cuz everytime they bump into the jewel they run away and everytime the jewel is in its rock the shark might pop its head in and see whos in there and it will imedently run away.. non of my fish have wounds on them or scrappy fins and i watch my tank all the time and they seem like a big happy family .... so i recomend its ok ... but i was thinking of having 2 jewels or even 3 but im resarching now to see if its ok !

ALSO you might wanna recap red forrest jewels are one of the LEAST aggressivest fish in the african chilid family .. and will happily live in any community tank,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 10:37PM by Nelliy.

Posted by: chAos ()
Date: January 02, 2011 01:40PM

NO NO NO totally different water conditions and goldfish dispense a lot of amonia from what i was told (when my girlfriend wanted one) goldfish need a 20 gallon tank TO THEM SELVES due to amonia and the COLD WATER is not good for a jewel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.