cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
In case of power outage, how long can fish live?
Posted by: kjd ()
Date: March 08, 2005 03:53PM

How long can fish live in a tank without power. How long before they run out of oxygen. What can you do to add air to the tank. Ex. 125g., 25 Africans. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In case of power outage, how long can fish live?
Posted by: jasontkennedy ()
Date: March 08, 2005 06:05PM

Get a large container (ie 2 quart pitcher) and dip it into your aquarium till it is full. Hold it above your aquarium and pour it back in. The higher you hold it the the better. When you pour it back in, the water will trap surrounding oxygen and bring it back in w/ it. This will result in air bubbles shooting into your water. This will also get the water moving, and promote surface gas exchanges. Also, I would take off any hood or canopy that your tank might have; this will also promote gas exchanges. The thing w/ the picture does not need to be done constantly. Do it every hour or two.

Good luck

Posted by: rodney ()
Date: March 08, 2005 06:10PM

I don't have an answer for how long, but I would also be concerned about temperature. You could add oxygen by removeing some water and pouring it back in from a distance, letting it splash a little as it goes in. Although this would add oxygen, it will also lower the temp. If you live in an area with frequent outages, a small generator may be a good investment. This would save your fish and the food in your refridgerator.

Posted by: jasontkennedy ()
Date: March 08, 2005 06:57PM

it is called a UPC (uninterruptable power supply)

Posted by: kjd ()
Date: March 09, 2005 08:51AM

Thanks for the info. No power outage last night. Generator is on my christmas list. But until then your ideas sound good in case of a real emegency, thanks.

Posted by: Terry ()
Date: March 09, 2005 12:53PM

I keep 5 large battery operated airstones on hand. They have come in handy during electrical storms.

Posted by: MITCHELL ()
Date: March 09, 2005 09:41PM

i would be more worried about the temp than oxegen cold water holds more gas(oxegen)
than warm if the tanks not overcrowded they will do fine for a few days with no problem
used to have a pump made out of 2 bottles the top one was filled with water which drained through a tube into the second which forced the air out into a tube into the tank you had to switch the bottles 2 -3 times a day the biger the bottle the longer it ran
Put a blanket over and around the tank if there is no hea will help keep it warm and the fish will be less active useing less oxegen
good luck
ps you can get a 50 watt power inverter a radio shack for $50 and run your pumps and filters off a $29 deep cycle batt.or get a more powerful one and run your heater,this is a better idea than batt air pumps ,I light my house with 12 light durning power outages(when some dumb-as! hits a pole)

UPS-uninterruptible power supply
Posted by: kend1606 ()
Date: March 11, 2005 07:56PM

We use APC (American Power Conversion) battery backups at work and a small to medium unit kept my tanks running through several 12 hour blackouts during the past winter. Ken

Re: UPS-uninterruptible power supply
Posted by: mrbeamers ()
Date: June 21, 2005 04:45PM

IF you in USA go to Petsmart. They have a power cord that has a rechargeable battery so while power on battery is charging and if power goes out will filp to battery and run your filtration, bubble wand, and heater, cost was about $50, but much cheaper than a generater. Draw back battery only lasts about 12 hours, but gives you time if needed.

Re: UPS-uninterruptible power supply
Posted by: MITCHELL ()
Date: June 25, 2005 09:24PM

deep cell battery $29 plus a power inverter $50 will run your pumps for days heaters
for a shorter period (you can add more or larger batterys)

Posted by: ItalianChic101 ()
Date: June 25, 2005 09:27PM

I take it you live in FL like I do? After hurricane charlie I had no power for 12 hours and everyone in my tank lived.

Ro$@ Simone
75 Gallons Brackish:
2 rope fish
4 Mono Sebae
1 Mono Argentus
1 Dwarf Puffer
1 Leopard Puffer
1 Coloumbian Shark
coming soon : archer fish

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.