cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
Are crickets good for cichlids to eat?
Posted by: Tony ()
Date: May 09, 2003 05:24PM

I always hear about feeder fish,Frozen food and the various pellets or flake, but never hear of anyone feeding Cichlids crickets. Alot of insects are good for your fish in the wild. Crickets, Grasshoppers, Spiders, Worms.They dont carry the parasites that aquatic feeders do. I feed my fish worms about once a week ( during the summer ). They love it.The worms from are from outside I worry about... bringing into my tank somekind of other chemical and poisoning the fish. Crickets are a pretty cheap feeder alternative as well ( gut loading the crickets also?) .But Are crickets good for feeding cichlids? Thanks..... Troy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are crickets good for cichlids to eat?
Posted by: aggressive ()
Date: May 10, 2003 09:26AM

depends on what size the cichlid is. i have a 5" tiger oscar and i feed him everything from crickets to grasshoppers and also cockroaches i also feed him more but i do not have enough room but yeah they will eat them.

Re: Are crickets good for cichlids to eat?
Posted by: kris ()
Date: May 23, 2003 11:25PM

it depends on what kind of cichlids they are. if they are africans, its not a very good idea, foods high in animal protein like crickets and the like just irritate their intestines and can cause the feared bloat. SA cichlids can be fed just about anything, but if they are africans, i would look to be feeding them a spirulina based diet, along with the occasional frozen brine shrimp, mysis, and even sometimes krill. just be careful not to overfeed, and, like i said, if they are africans, id definitley keep away from the crickets, especially live ones that can bite and scratch the sensitive intestines of the fish.
good luck
kris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.