cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
Cichlid water parameters
Posted by: Tom ()
Date: October 06, 2001 06:18PM

I am going to start a cichlid tank of Aulonacara and I'm trying to find out the best water parameters(P.H. , G.H. , K.H.) for this type fish. I've been given ranges of 7.4 to 8.8 for P.H., 3 to 8 for G.H., and 8 to 20 for K.H. . With the tap water that I am using, I'm going to have to adjust anyway and I just want to pinpoint the ideal levels.

Thankyou,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cichlid water parameters
Posted by: Bill ()
Date: October 06, 2001 08:37PM

pH should be kept around 8.0 - 8.8 anywhere in between these parameters are fine. It's not even that bad to go down to around 7.8. I keep my tank at 8.3 - 8.4 and the fish are lovin it. Kh and Gh levels should be kept around 200 - 350ppm I keep mine at 250ppm both Kh - Gh numbers should be around the same. 95% of cichlids that you will buy are tank raised and don't really requrie you to do much with the these levels and will do just fine in water that is not hard or extermly high in pH just as long as the pH never goes below neutral. Wild caught and fish that are kept in tanks at pet stores that keep their water levels high will abviously need the higher pH, kh, and gh levels. Hope this helps and that your cichlid experiance is a good one.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.