cichlids.com

African :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about African cichlids 
Why do they yawn?
Posted by: Mbunaman ()
Date: December 06, 2000 10:09PM

Why do Cichlids yawn, mainly the Africans? I see at least half of mine yawn at least once every day. Are they tired? Its pretty funny to watch because it looks like they unhindge their jaws and their mouth grows over double its normal size!

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Why do they yawn?
Posted by: Doug ()
Date: December 07, 2000 02:07AM

Purely speculation here but perhaps they are either packing any food in their asophogous back, or, just stretching. Trout do the jaw thing as do salmon, Trout usually do it after they are stuffed with insects, they will move their jaw a few times then swallow a leach or two to pack things tight. Kinda like making room for dessert at the christmas dinner...

Posted by: shelley ()
Date: December 07, 2000 09:12PM

I have read the the Calvus yawns when there is high activity in the tank - overly stimulated. I don't know if this is true but it's what I've read.

Posted by: Mbunaman ()
Date: December 07, 2000 10:43PM

Is that why? I dont have Calvus, just a bunch of Pseudos and other non-pseudo Mbuna in my tank. Its pretty lively in there so maybe they do get a little over stimulated.

Posted by: fyrcrackr ()
Date: February 15, 2001 05:23AM

Maybe they have just gotten bored watching us sit around doing nothing except watch them......LOL Seriously tho, I have no idea but it's really cool looking smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.