cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Black-Belt Cichlid
Posted by: krazykarel ()
Date: July 08, 2000 04:19AM

Can you guys please give me some info on this cichlid or direct me to a place where i can get the info. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Black-Belt Cichlid
Posted by: BIG_CICHLID ()
Date: July 09, 2000 05:26AM

Veija Maculicauda or the Black Belt cichlid is a Central American cichlid that reaches 14 inches. The black vertical stripe down the middle of the body is where it gets it name from. They are substrate spawners and their tempermant is hit or miss; Nice or Nasty!! All the Blackbelts in captivity are tank raised as wild fish are no longer available. The red throat will come with age. Young males will soon develop a pecking order and begin to display to the females; other than this it is hard to sex this species. So, be patient and observe their activity before you purhase if trying to achieve a pair.

[clubs.yahoo.com]

BC

krazykarel wrote:
-------------------------------
Can you guys please give me some info on this cichlid or direct me to a place where i can get the info. Thanks

RE: Black-Belt Cichlid
Posted by: Raj ()
Date: July 15, 2000 02:01PM

I have a 110 gallon with six blackbelts in it. They are between 4 and 8 inches in length and have grown at a tremendous rate. I have a breeding pair and the female is significantly smaller than the male. Just before breeding, the pair will dig large pits in the gravel, reaching the undergravel filter. They are very territorial fish and tend to be most aggressive towards their own species. I have some smaller cichlids (severums and a salvini) in the tank and the blackbelts don't bother them at all. The blackbelts eat almost everything I put in the tank but they particularly relish frozen shrimp and bloodworms. (Plants don't last very long in a tank with blackbelts!) The most important accessories for blackbelts are a large tank (because of how large they grow) and a very strong filter system (they create a lot of waste).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.