cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
turtles and cichlids
Posted by: Khary ()
Date: February 21, 2004 09:13PM

Hey there I was wondering if there was any chance that I could put a turtle and cichlids together in a tank thank you in advance for your response

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turtles and cichlids
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: February 21, 2004 10:14PM

Turtles are meat eaters. fish are meat. turtle will catch fish at nite when they are resting. Dead fish. So no. I would not keep turtles with fish. something else about turtles is they carry somanila. A very dangerous bacterial. And Turtles have been banned to sell in the US. as pets because of the somanila. If you have children who have turtles, wash their hands with anti-bacterial soap in very warm then cold water to kill the germs.
Kind of scary, for I had turtles growing up and played with them all the time.

Posted by: kwaynetwo ()
Date: February 22, 2004 03:17AM

Yeab but at the sametime it was around then. SO I dont think that just because of that it should be band.

Date: February 22, 2004 02:03PM

You would think that after a certain amount of time has passed they would left the ban. BUT, most breeders do not take the steps to kill samanila which has to be done while still in the egg. (read on a turtle forum will post where when i find it again) they just want to move them out fast. Money is the key here. Not the publics health. Children are the victims here not the adults. A child will handle the turtle, then put something in their mouths before washing their hands. Now you have a sick child. Somanila is not something to play with.

Posted by: MrJangles ()
Date: February 22, 2004 02:38PM

I have a Painted Turtle and cichlids living together. As long as the Cichlid is at least the same size as the turtle everything will be ok.

I have 1 Painted Turtle, 1 Blue Gill, 1, Texas Cichlid, 1 Jack Dempsey Cichlid, 2 Tin Foil Barbs, and a Pleco all living together happy. The Turtle will eat a fish if he can get ahold of one but the fish will avoid the turtle quite easy and the turtle will give up on even chasing them.

Just make sure you have good filtration and a nice size tank.

Date: February 22, 2004 10:35PM

Turtles are not banned from being sold in the US. They cannot sell baby hatchlings (wich can spread salmonella) but you can buy bigger turtles in just about any pet shop in the nation.

Posted by: Jarman ()
Date: February 23, 2004 02:02AM

I would have to disagree with MrJangles, I have a sister who wouldn't listen and put a small red ear slider in with her fish. She had a JD that was very aggressive and thought that it was killing her fish one by one till there was only the JD left. Lo and behold the JD ended up dead soon afterword. Although the turtle was smaller than the fish Like Barb mentioned ("Turtles are meat eaters. fish are meat. turtle will catch fish at nite when they are resting. Dead fish."winking smiley the turtle would nab at the fish in the dark (while they were sleeping) till the fish was killed then feasted on it. Unless you really get lucky I wouldn't recomend that you keep fish and turtles in the same habitat without eventually suffering the consequences. Dead Fish, Happy Turtle!

Date: February 23, 2004 11:46AM

I have had the fish in with the turtle for almost a year now.

Other people have had luck with fishes in with their turtles as well.

www.turtletimes.com is a good place for more info.

If your worried then just try a lake fish first. Catch yourself a bluegill and throw it in with the turtle. Or try a large goldfish. If all works out then start adding your cichlids.

Thats how I got mine started.

Date: February 23, 2004 10:18PM

Ah, Ok, the forum (that I can't find now) said nothing about size. So a bigger one would work? thats good. I wanted one for the pond but cats are everywhere here. So their are frogs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.