cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Cichlids and guppies
Posted by: Michel Oliveira ()
Date: November 26, 2003 04:40PM

Hi, i already own 3 guppies in a 25 gallon tank and i want to bring a pair of cichlids with them. Wich ones should i choose? I don't wanna see the cichlids eat away all the guppies. As many species would do... And i'm a beginner at aquariophilia so don't suggest pricey fish. The tank is running now for 3 weeks without any problems so i think the biological cycle is established quite well...

can cichlids and guppies be mixed together? and if so wich cichlids can i choose? I would like to have a pair of cichlids give birth in my aquarium. I saw it at a friends house and the behavior of cichlids with their fry is simply amazing!

tanx alot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cichlids and guppies
Posted by: Gregg ()
Date: November 26, 2003 07:12PM

Mike-

to be honest, a 25 gallon tank is quite small for most cichlids, especially if you plan on having more than one and possibly breeding. Both African cichlids and cichlids from the Americas are territorial. They need plenty of space, and the majority are pisciverous, which means they'll eat your guppies for sure. They are however interesting fish and have more of a personality than guppies. My suggestion would be to try housing dwarf cichlids. Obviously they will not grow too large and they're your best shot at coexisting with the guppies. A pair of dwarfs called kribensis is a great choice. They are readily available and inexpensive. Best of luck.

Gregg

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: November 26, 2003 11:36PM

What about some keyhole cichlids ( Cleithracara maronii ), one of the most peaceful cichlids around and should be okay in a tank that size.

Posted by: Cody ()
Date: December 04, 2003 12:16AM

You can place cichlids with guppies. However the only ones I can think of are angelfish. They are easily bred in community aquaria. You could try discus cichlids but because of the guppies small size they might eat them. One of my friends had angelfish and guppies and they lived perfectly together.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.