cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Breeding Parrotfish freshwater
Posted by: Dave ()
Date: February 09, 2003 09:21AM

I recently purchased a pair of parrotfish that had been traded in at a shop. The owner told the shop keeper that they had bred for her in a 55 but no other info. I am looking for some help as to requirements because their breeding tubes are starting to show. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breeding Parrotfish freshwater
Posted by: allan ()
Date: February 10, 2003 12:02PM

put a large flat stone( sandpaper the breeding side) or large claypot.that's it.nature will take its course.

Posted by: cody crane ()
Date: January 09, 2004 04:28PM

we have 200 baby parrotfish in tank. Tank is 10 gallons of purified water. we are wondering what to do to help them get big and healthy. this is are first time having baby fish. we know they are parrotfish becase there are no other breeds of fish in tank. we need information about water temp and kind of food and how many times a day do you feed them.

Posted by: diana newsome ()
Date: March 22, 2004 10:46PM

I have two parrot fish that are breeding, but the eggs never hatch. They are laying 200 to 300 eggs at a time. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I leave them in the tank with the two breeding fish now. Should I remove them. I need any information anyone has. Thank You.

Posted by: bernard ()
Date: March 25, 2004 04:42AM

i have 2 parrot fish, they have laid some eggs but seem to have eateen them.should i have removed the parents or seperated the tank.
she still seems to be full of eggs. any help please.

Posted by: narissa83 ()
Date: March 29, 2004 03:11AM

cody-keep the tank warm about 80 maybe get them in a bigger tank if possible and feed flakes and pellets

diana-more than likely your male is sterile won't hurt to have them together.

bernard-they eat unfertilized eggs to keep the fungi that grow on them from spreeding to any eggs that might be fertile.

Posted by: narissa ()
Date: March 29, 2004 03:14AM

Diet
Blood Parrots will eat a variety of foods including flake, live, frozen, and freeze dried foods. Sinking foods are easier for them to eat than floating foods. Most owners report bloodworms and live brine shrimp as a favorite treat. Foods high in b-carotene and canthaxanthin will help maintain their vibrant colors.

Breeding
Although Parrots have been known to mate and even lay eggs, generally they are infertile. There have been sporatic cases of successful spawnings, generally when they have been crossed with a non-hybrid fish. Like other cichlids, Blood Parrots will tend the eggs and resulting fry fastidiously. As with any eggs, those that are infertile will turn white and rapidly fungus. The parents will eat infertile eggs to prevent them from spreading fungus to the fertile eggs. Once the eggs hatch, daily water changes of 25% are critical to ensure the health of the fry. Fresh baby brine shrimp are the optimum food during the first couple of weeks. Often pet shops will carry frozen baby brine shrimp, which can also be used. As they fry grow, they can be weaned to fine fry food.

Posted by: joey ()
Date: April 09, 2004 09:57PM

what type of parrotfish were they? how big/old were they? did you see any eggs? if so, where did they lay them? did they gaurd the eggs and fry? any information would be appreciated. thank you.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: April 09, 2004 10:05PM

i have just bought a pair of blue parrots, other pairs like them layed eggs in the shop. myne have paired up. what are the chances of the eggs hatching? how many eggs would there be in total? what fish would be suitable to crossbreed with parrots? thanks.

Posted by: Irene ()
Date: April 27, 2004 03:42AM

My parrot fish has layed some eggs. This is my first time experiencing my fish having eggs. I have 6 parrot fish, i know which one is the mother but i dont know which one is the father. i have the mother and the babies seperated from the other fish. Do i let the mother and the eggs loose with the other fish? What is you guys advice i dont know what to do. Please instruct me with some guidence. My email is clowner93@yahoo.com Thanks alot.

Posted by: jason ()
Date: May 11, 2004 12:51AM

does anyone know how to keep the baby parrotfish alive? i tried isolating them but i realized it made everything worse, the frys starting to die off even after i fed them, so i put them back with the parents because i realized that they're mouth breeders, but i still liked to help them out in anyway, anymore information will be appreciated

Posted by: kwaynetwo ()
Date: May 11, 2004 06:31AM

start a new topic if you want people to answer this. I dont know but alot of other people might

Sorry I cant help KEN

Posted by: Diane ()
Date: July 18, 2004 01:42AM

I have one parrotfish. The only other fish, from the cichild family in my 55 gallon tank is an angel fish. The parrotfish has laid what appears to be 100's of eggs. His/her name is Rodney (surely I'm not the only one to notice the resemblence to Rodney Dangerfield). Imagine my shock when Rodney lays eggs. Does anyone know if it is even remotely possible that the angel fish is male and has fertilized the eggs? I feel really stupid asking this question, but I know absolutely nothing about the breeding habits of these fish. I don't even know if the parrotfish lays the eggs and then they're fertilized or if the fertilization takes place during some type of mating process. Is there something I need to be doing to protect the eggs? And is it a good idea to get some type of grass, net or some other type of protection for the small fish when they hatch? Please respond. I don't know what to do and have had no luck with on line research.

Posted by: lunacy143 ()
Date: August 02, 2004 10:11PM

DO THE PARENTHS EAT THE EGS

Posted by: Michael ()
Date: September 20, 2004 10:54AM

My parrotfish just laid eggs how long does it take to hatchlunacy143 wrote:

> DO THE PARENTHS EAT THE EGS

Posted by: carrie ()
Date: September 04, 2007 01:41AM

I need to know how long it takes the eggs to hatch for the parrot fish and if i need to remove the male or female from the tank!!

Posted by: maria ()
Date: June 25, 2008 02:51PM

i have to parrotfish and i don't know if i have a pair or i have two female or tow male could some one let me know the diffrent between the two of them. i love fishies they are good for the house i have a 55 gallon i have a oscar,a demce and eel in the other tank i have swordtail they having babies and i have a 75 gallon of all diffrent but i want to know more about these parrotfishies thank you

Posted by: maria ()
Date: June 25, 2008 02:57PM

i have to parrotfish and i don't know if i have a pair or i have two female or tow male could some one let me know the diffrent between the two of them.

Posted by: neenersam ()
Date: June 11, 2011 01:39AM

theres a bit more to it. do not take the fish out they will protect the eggs and the baby fish. if they are white everytime they lay u prob have two girls. if some are translucent they are good eggs the parents will take care of everything and eat the white eggs. go to a good fish store and ask for baby food. the parents wont eat the babies unless they are dead but they will move them around the tank in their mouth.

Date: June 11, 2011 01:41AM

well if they never lay and they arnt young or sick u have two boys.

Posted by: caleb17 ()
Date: August 24, 2011 08:21PM

They need to have a peice of slate to lay their ggs on. Might be good idea to put them in a tank by them selfs.
Answer my question on page 1 by caleb17
I got parrots and both are males very territorial to one another

Posted by: Abhishek123 ()
Date: July 05, 2012 10:12AM

My parrot fish is breeding and i didnt know wat to do !
as i was searching the web i learnt i should separate the mother and the eggs
i did with the home found things and its working, its been 2 days science i saw
the eggs, there are 100s of them and 3-4 are white
will they hatch and what can i do to save the fry

Date: July 05, 2012 01:34PM

u dont have to take the mother out they will care for the fry but most cant have good eggs cause they are inbread of two other kinds of fish (cichlids and red devils mostly) . like horses and donkeys have sterile babies. but if the eggs turn white they are dead and the mother will eat them and try again. if they live and hatch the mother will mouth feed them which means the babies will get their food from inside the mothers mouth she wont eat them and she will attack any fish that comes close to them. also two female parrot fish will try to have babies together as well. if they are hatching put her back as soon as u can cause they will starve without her. i fed mine bloodworms and flake food when she was careing for them just as a little added nutrients

Posted by: todduy ()
Date: January 17, 2013 02:46AM

Hi, my father is planning to buy a parrot fish (Freshwater) for our aquarium in the office, as a new breeder of parrot fish, can you give me some tips on how to care for the fishes.

Posted by: summer ()
Date: January 24, 2013 03:39PM

Hi I was looking 4 some imfo. on my parrot fish, after reading the blogs u seem 2 b the informer. lol anyways I have 2 parrot fish, they are white. the store told me they are called White Masked parrots. Anyways, they dug their hole and the female dropped eggs. they then glued them 2 a fake log in my tank. im guessing their is 75 eggs. some of them have turned white but many of them are still clear. i was under the impression that male parrots are infertil. here's what i'm thinking. its been 12hrs sence she dropped them. all the eggs havn't turned white, the clear ones must have been fertilized or they would all be white. right. as i was reading it said that only 3% of males are firtal. is their any way i can tell if my babies will hatch. do the parents eat the babies after birth. some1 said they are mouth breaders? i dont no what that means ,but the male kissed the eggs after she stuck them 2 the log. help me please i have no idea what im doing. the fish chose this. will the parents protect the new babies like they do the eggs?
please respond thank u- Summer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.