cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Convict Cichlids tank mates?
Posted by: Herby ()
Date: January 27, 2003 12:37PM

Hi! I have a 120 l tank (30 gallons) with only a pair of convicts at the moment. Could someone please tell me, which other types of fish will be a good tank mates for my convicts?

Herby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Convict Cichlids tank mates?
Posted by: Terri ()
Date: January 27, 2003 10:06PM

male & female convict???

Date: January 28, 2003 07:08AM

Terri....yes. Hoping they will breed someday.
So any idea of a good tank mates for these 2?

Posted by: allan ()
Date: January 28, 2003 11:07AM

for such a big tank i suggest u go 4 big american cichlids. my favorite are midas or red devils,oscar,discus, trimaculatum to name a few.jagaurs r interesting also,but they breed like crazy.i have a pair that spawn close to 4T. u can c my pets at yahoo mail
username: midasrd03 password: msrd03
if u hv a pic of ur pets email there - midasrd03@yahoo.com

Date: January 28, 2003 09:43PM

You know, Convicts are pretty cool fish... I have a breeding pair in a 35 gallon with about 20 fry. The only problem with putting in other fish is that Convicts get extremely aggressive when they breed.

I stuck my hand in the tank 2 or 3 days after my babies were born to get out a piece of food they hadn't eaten & my female bite me!!! When I look in the tank, my male flares & twitches at me trying to scare me off.

If you want to get tank mates for Convicts, I would suggest not having a male & female convict in the same tank.

I do understand the passion to have various types of fish in there but in the end, someone gets hurt!! When I first got my male, I put him in with 3 Oscars... I now have 2 Oscars!!!

If you want to breed Convicts, keep the tank to just convicts. I got greedy wanting so many fish & now have 7 tanks to clean every weekend!!! But they are all totally worth it!!!

Good Luck! Let me know how it goes if you do try... : )

Date: January 29, 2003 07:28AM

Thanks Terri and Allan for your responses....I appreciate it very much.
I think I will follow Terri's advice to keep my pair of convicts alone at the moment. Maybe in the future I will try to put another kind of cichlid with them....a kind of fish that can stand their aggressiveness.
Terri...I understand what you mean that it's handful to clean aquariums every weekends (I have 3), but they really do worth it!

Date: January 30, 2003 08:25PM

Good Luck Breeding... not that you need it. Your Convicts will breed in no time!!!

Keep us posted!!

too big ?
Posted by: alex ()
Date: February 01, 2003 05:52PM

Hi,I love jack dempeys,but my father says they get too big for my 30 gallon tank. is this true and is it ok to have 1in a 30 gallon tank?

Re: too big ?
Date: February 05, 2003 06:57PM

They will absolutly get too big!!! If you get them as babies, you can keep them in there until the get about 4in (at the most!!!) At that point you'll need to get a 50-60 gal tank.

Posted by: Tom ()
Date: February 07, 2003 12:22AM

you guys are nuts a 30 gal will house at lest tree of any kind of cichlid (except mabe the enormus ones like texas cichlids....if i had an extra 30 gal you can bet i'd have a female and a male dempsy in there

Posted by: sandy leedy ()
Date: February 07, 2003 02:00PM

Hello Herby i have 1 female convict in my tank with 6 clown loach,2 silver dollars,2 green scats,3 silver sacts.They seam to get along very well.o yes and 4 little red eyes.But I have my male in another tank with about 75 babys.Hope this helps SandyHerby wrote:
>
> Hi! I have a 120 l tank (30 gallons) with only a pair of
> convicts at the moment. Could someone please tell me, which
> other types of fish will be a good tank mates for my convicts?
>
> Herby

Date: February 10, 2003 10:18PM

Tom you're NUTS!!! I have 2 dempseys in a 35 gal Hospital tank & they are fighting like CRAZY!!! My female is beaten up. Good thing their 50 gal tank will be ready in a couple more days!!!

Also, there is NO way you could keep 3 7-8in Oscars in a 30 gal tank & have them both happy.

Since Convicts are a tamer cichlid, you can have a few together but when they start breeding, they get really nasty.

Posted by: mike ()
Date: February 17, 2003 03:33AM

JACK DEMPSEYS WILL GET ABOUT 7INCHES LONG . SO IF YOU CANT FIT ONE IN A 30 GALL TANK SOMETHING WRONG. I HAVE TWO FULL GROWN .

Posted by: Jarrod Aspden ()
Date: February 22, 2003 02:36PM

Oscars, Firemouths, anything that's not really territorial like a Jack Dempsy or a Jaguar.

Posted by: alex ()
Date: February 24, 2003 10:30PM

remember inche per gallon, you will be able to keep about 4 and maybe 5 four inche convicts make sure there is alot of caves and hiding places which they will spawn in and lay there eggs

bye.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: February 27, 2003 07:15PM

none

Posted by: Lucid_Dreamer ()
Date: May 14, 2003 10:48AM

If they are a mated pair, I'd add nothing.

When they breed they will take over the entire
tank as their territory and any fish present with be harrassed nonstop.

Posted by: ryan ()
Date: February 27, 2004 06:22PM

don't believe the hype about cichlids. in my 55 gallon tank i have 2 kennyi, 1 auratus, 1 johanni, 1 powder blue, 1 red zebra, and 1 blue cobalt(all africans) living comfortably with 2 red oscars, a red pacu, a clown loach, a dragon fish, a green cory and a blackfin shark. i have had these same fish for years now and besides a squabble every now and then, they get along just fine. every pet shop in the world will tell you this is impossible. size is key. same size fish raised together work out fine.

Posted by: j ()
Date: July 06, 2004 07:08PM

i have 3 paris of convict cichlids in a 100 gallon tank,you should never stick your hand in the tank more than once or twice because if they see a thret they will eat thir babies or eat the eggs

what can i put in with oscars
Posted by: Chelle ()
Date: July 30, 2004 04:24PM

I am getting some oscars and i want some pretty tankmates to go in with them... I am getting little oscars so I can raise them.... They will start out in a 55 gal. tank...I'm thinking of getting two or three oscars...so what would be a good tank mate for them?

Re: what can i put in with oscars
Posted by: Laura ()
Date: September 07, 2004 05:36PM

That's already enough fish. you may be crowding your tank too much already. Oscars should be kept in a MINIMUM of forty gallons and many people recommend seventy. They are massive fish and they need their space, especially with more of the same species together. Do yourself a favor and either get one and then other fish or if you already have them, no tank mates.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.