cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
New topic for each question? Convicts and dither fish?
Posted by: ArvLyn ()
Date: January 27, 2012 04:24PM

New here so I'm not entirely sure of the protocol...

Should I put dither fish in with the convicts I'm going to be getting? I'm thinking 3 to 5 tiger barbs, giant danios or cherry barbs.

Can I put a pleco in with the convicts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New topic for each question? Convicts and dither fish?
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: January 27, 2012 11:32PM

No U dont' have too do a NEW TOPIC for each ??, unless it goes for a few days and NO one answers U. So really up to U.

ONE deal with convicts is THEY ARE NOT NICE cichlids.. Period.. When they spawn, they will KILL all others in the tank..

Dithers are not really for a cichlid tank at all. they might do good for a while, then U wil notice them dieing off with missing fins/other parts.. NO fish should have to have such a drastic death..

Even a pleco when they start to spawn wil NOT be safe. It is best to just have a species tank with JUST convicts if that is what U want to have.. I have mine in their own tank for this reason AND I have most of my tanks down for now. Later I will place them in a 55 for just them as I know better to add in others.. LOL..

WECOME to the forum by the way..

It is more than a container with fish!!
I HAD 12 tanks running!! but moved so only 4 going strong!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 11:33PM by Barb Okla.

Date: January 27, 2012 11:58PM

Thank you so much for the welcome and for the advice.

Hmm...I guess I've been mislead about the convicts then. I appreciate you telling me now, before it's too late.

Are jewels or firemouths the same way?

Is it true that I could only keep 2 convicts in a 29g (for now)? Filtration is at a total of 520 gph.

Date: January 28, 2012 12:40AM

I have had convicts since 2003 and I dont' mind them with others, but U need to know what ONCE they start to spawn, THEN the trouble starts..

YES U have been mislead. Normal for ppl NOT knowing about certain species to be told it will work knowing it won't to make a sale or just BAD advice. I have convicts and love them, but I know what I can add with them.. NOT Much or u need a REALLY big tank. 75gal and up..

IF U get say just a male and say a FM MALE, and that is not easy as both sexes look alike with the FM, AND they will cross spawn and that is not good! That would be a neat tank with two different species of interesting cichlids. BUT that is all U can have in the tank. SO again, U need to think what U want in it and start out in a 29gal but in a few months, get a bigger tank and add in more as U do..

IF U want the jewels, then U need to do them and say 3 Elect yellows would work out good and not be to crowded. elec. Yellows get along with all but them selves for some reason.. U really need a bigger tank for what U want.. A 55gal and UP is the best for these cichlids and even then, U are going to see aggression as it is intinct here for them to be so..

IN a 29 gal tank, I have 4 adult convicts, one lone female that keeps the males away, Yes she does! dont' know why but I am glad for now.. they survive due to lots of clay flower pots in this small tank. NOT a good set-up at all but it was this or kill them and I am not a fish killer if I have a tank, they are just going to have to tough it to survive until I can get a 55gal up and going.. again.. So far so good..

ON your filteration.. I have a prob with your powerhead.. Are U doing a UGF? under gravel filter?? As this is not going to work out at all. Cichlids DIG and they make it useless fast.

Also a powerhead in such a small tank is going to cause a current your fish are going to have to fight to swim here and their and might just HIDE al the time away from the current.. NOT a good idea at all.

YOUR one filter for a 29gal should be all u need. I have an emperor 400 on mine turned half way down. (older model) so not a lot of current but it does its job.

Hope I helped some..

My 29gal TEMPORY home:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 12:49AM by Barb Okla.

Date: January 28, 2012 12:59AM

IF U click on PICTURES at the left, they are all showing their convict today.

U have to JOIN the gallery to comment as it is seperate from the forum..

Date: January 28, 2012 01:14AM

Thank you again!

I do have other tanks, I'll be setting up at least my 2 55g in a couple months when remodeling is done. I'm looking at a 150 g set up this summer also. The 29s are what are set up now, which is why I'm starting with them since I can't move into the others yet. (Also, I think my husband knows that messing with my aquariums calms me, therefore I might not complain as much about the remodel!!)

I'm running a UGF with the powerhead right now, but I was planning on switching it to its reverse flow function with the cichlids. I can turn down the current, it's adjustable. Even little babies have not had an issue with the current in past setups. My corys actually LOVE it, and would like it stronger I think, I call them salmon, they love to swim "upsteam" so much.

Date: January 29, 2012 09:19PM

Well as it turns out, all this has been a moot point. A visit to our LFS this weekend showed that they don't have much of a collection of any of the cichlids I was thinking about. Because of this, we've decided to go another way with this 29g, and save the cichlid idea for this spring when I can set up the two 55g aquariums. I also saw a 150g set up that I adore and the owner wrote me a note that I can get the sale price even months from now!

Incidently, we're going with a dwarf gourami set up now, if anyone was wondering, but that's another forum. sad smiley

I do appreciate all your help, I will be back!!

Date: January 29, 2012 10:50PM

Great choice for your tank set-up U have.. U understand the drool part on a big tank.. IF U can swing the 150 gal that is just AWSOME!! I have a 125gal and I would LOVE a bigger one too!! Who don't..

U will get the cichlids U want soon.. JUST be patient and enjoy the dwarf Gourami's as they are just neat to watch and U can have more with them than just a few mean convicts..

Best of fish keeping to U!! Barb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.