cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
How aggressive are Oscars...really?
Posted by: Amy ()
Date: May 10, 2000 02:48AM

I keep hearing that Oscars are really aggressive fish. But some people say just the opposite. I've even heard of people keeping Oscars with Angelfish, and the Angels beat up the Oscar. Whats the real story? Thanks, Amy

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: How aggressive are Oscars...really?
Posted by: RCB ()
Date: May 11, 2000 04:11PM

Oscars are harmless to anything near their size. I had 'em with Convicts, Pictus catfish, Iridescent sharks, Corydoras catfish (You know--the cute little ones), Firemouths (I suppose that answers that other guy's question too), and an African Knife (temporarily but he left it alone). There were also many others that I fail to remember. (by the way, the one with the corys was about 7 inch, and the corys were about 1 to 2 inch, and he left THEM alone!!).

So, no, they aren't that aggressive. Just be prepared to keep them in a big tank and don't get 'em if you don't like using your trusty gravel sucker a lot.

Posted by: Parnelli ()
Date: May 11, 2000 07:51PM

My experience with Oscars has been the same as RCB's, properly conditioned from a young age Oscars are not bad tank mates for most other types of fish. One word of caution though, as messy as they are after they eat, and they are messy, keep them well fed. If they get hungry they'll eat, your plants, your other fish, each other, get the picture. Once they develop a taste for live food, they tend to get more and more aggressive. I had a very large pellet raised Oscar that would cuddle in the palm of my hand. The flip side is a friends Oscar raised on mostly feeder fish that will attack anything even remotely resembling food, including fingers and it has the teeth to seriously open you up. This might be the secret to their appeal, as I know of few other fish with the personality and charactor that Oscars have, they will wait and greet you, hide from strangers, feed from your hand and even allow you to pet them, not a lot of other fish have these traits.

Good luck,

parn

Posted by: Beau ()
Date: May 14, 2000 02:53AM

Yeah I bought an Oscar from my LFS and it will not touch flake food at all. .i bought it at 3 inches.. and i guess the LFS only fed it live fish.. so I have had to buy alot of feeders.. I did have an extra 10 gallon to put them in so i buy about 50 at a time.. i like to watch the oscar eat the fish.. But as far as aggressive.. hhmm I have this Albino with an albino channel cat. and another catfish (unkown species.) and a pleco and 2 dwarg gouramis.. and they get along just fine..
i hope that helps..

Posted by: Amy ()
Date: May 15, 2000 02:14AM

Well, I decided to try this out for myself and I put a swordtail in my tank with the Oscar. He's about five inches and the sword is about two. The swordtail is systematically murdering all the other livebearers in her tank and this is why she was chosen for the experiment. Everything went well for a day but I guess sometime in the middle of the night the Oscar attacked her. I found her in the top of the tank in the corner shaking. She was fine for the most part but it looked like my Oscar had tried to eat her because around her neck she was white like he'd gotten her in his mouth and chewed on her but he's not big enough to eat her. The reason I'm asking is I want to put some firemouths in the tank with him and all I can find are babies. I guess I can put them in the spare ten gallon till they out grow my Oscar's mouth. Thanks, Amy

Posted by: D C ()
Date: May 16, 2000 02:13AM

I guess this answers your question, at least in part. Oscars can and will try to eat anything that can fit in their mouths. They don't display territorial aggressiveness so much unless mating. I once had an oscar that became very aggressive when he was by himself ( I came home from a trip with a tank full of dead cichlids thanks to a large albino catfish ) the oscar barely made it and lived out the rest of his days in a 30 gallon. He attacked his own reflection, water heaters and even my hand when I would do water changes. He was 10"

Posted by: Caped Revenger Bump ()
Date: May 16, 2000 11:21PM

Oscars are more agressive as they are smaller. As they get older and slower they are just friendly slow moving fish. There are occasional insane ones [i saw one in a pet store eating one of it's brothers or sisters] but they ususally take all of their agression out on appliances.

Posted by: Gayle ()
Date: May 20, 2000 11:00PM

I hope this helps you at least a little bit.
I have 2 red tiger oscars that are about 5 inches long and I keep them with: 2 upside down catfish, 2 tin foil barbs, 1 "blue" catfish (not sure of his real name) a red tail shark, and a pleco. The red tail shark is a only 2 or 3 inches long and he has no problems with the oscars.

Posted by: Ragemaster4 ()
Date: January 01, 2001 10:10AM

Oscars are not very aggressive at all, just predatory. Compared to the likes of Jaguars, Red Devils and dovii, the Oscar is, indeed, a 'wimp.'

Re: How aggressive are Oscars...really?
Posted by: X20dead ()
Date: May 26, 2011 04:03PM

my tiger oscar killed fish twice his size go with the tiger oscar

Re: How aggressive are Oscars...really?
Posted by: abcdefg ()
Date: May 31, 2011 12:24PM

I agree with x20dead oscars are very agressive if you get the right one. And about the feeding the oscars flakes try some cichlid pellets because if you just feed him feeders he will end up getting a sicknesss from one of the feeders he eats. If you start out a oscar with whatever fish you want in ur tank and then until hes older he wont mess with them. Ive had my oscar with a firemouth,electric yellow fish,a golfish,pictus catfish,and an eclipse catfish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.