cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Should I feed bloodworms to all my cichlids?
Posted by: ShanghaiTiff ()
Date: May 27, 2009 12:22AM

I was reading moneymaker's suggestion to jutt about feeding bloodworms and how it produces more vibrant colors in the fish. Are bloodworms among the natural diet for all omnivorous/carnivorous cichlids? Is that something they would eat in the wild? Where can I get some? Are they expensive? Do I feed them to the fish live or frozen? How often should I feed my cichlids bloodworms if all they're eating now is cichlid pellets?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I feed bloodworms to all my cichlids?
Posted by: moneymaker82206 ()
Date: May 27, 2009 01:45AM

im glad your asking. as bloodworms are a part of theyre diet as i mean worms in general. although it gives them fantastic colors it doesnt have all the vitamins and nutrition that they need. so in addition to the bloodworms youll need to feed them cichlid pelits. they usually come in big bags and be sure you get ones that will fit in there mouths or theyll chock. so ill give you an example. i have eight cichlids in my 55 gallon tank and 2 plecos. i give them 3 cubes 1/2 in by 1/2 in squares of bloodworms to them everyother day and a small handfull of the cichlid pellits every day. this insures fantastic colors and an exilent diet ensureing long life. and about once a month or so ill get 2 dozen feeder guppies and let them chase and feed at theyre leisure. thats theyre treat. and my red oscer that is now a year and a half or so old is a bright red as when i got it from the pet store it was a dark read almose all black. so it works give it a shot.

Re: Should I feed bloodworms to all my cichlids?
Posted by: moneymaker82206 ()
Date: May 27, 2009 01:47AM

oh and if you have a seperate tank of tropical fish like guppies and all that try brine shrinp. that works the best to bring out the colors in them and unlike bloodworms it has all the nutrition that they need. and yes i know that this site is for cichlids but who knows what kind of fish people might have in addition to cichlids and they would like suggestions on those as well. so please noone hastle me about that. thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.