cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
NItrates are Killing my fish...Help?
Posted by: gmoses ()
Date: September 19, 2008 07:42PM

So it looks like my tank has a nitrate issue. I have been doing small water changes (%10 every 4-5) days and aty first my lfs said there wa sno nitrates. But i had my frontosa die and another fish sick. I did more research and realized my algae growth could be due to the nitrates. I bought my own liquid tester and it seemed about 10. so i did another massive water change 30% and took out a lot of the decorations and vacuumed it well. Did another test today and its down to 5... Still hurting my fish and i dont know to do. I changed my carbon in my filter last week, took out the sponge for cleaning. The sponge may need to be changed could that help? Any other solutions. Tried not feeding alot ..should i only feed every other day till it settles...
Its a 30 gallon. Pictures are in my profile. thank you for your help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NItrates are Killing my fish...Help?
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: September 20, 2008 11:57AM

Nitrates dont' hurt fish at 10 or even 20+.. U have other problems in the tank.. High nitrates do however at 50+, U will see some fin deteriation as the fins tips turn white and start to reseed some..

NOW are U really talking about NITRATES or NITRITES???

They are totally different here..

U wil always have NITRATE due to feeding and not doing larger water changes to delute them down.. They can be to 40+ and not harm your fish..

NITRITE is a dangerous process of the cycling of your tank, as in NEWLY set-up or to much of a water change of over 60%.. They can be deadyly at 4ppm to 10ppm.. Water changes are the only way to keep them down.. U need to do 20% at 5 US gal every other day to keep them down until they go to 0ppm..

FEED only once a day wil help U here..

So which one is it??

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Date: September 20, 2008 03:50PM

As always thank you for your quick response. At first i was confused last week but after looking closer at my strips the issue is with the nitrates. I asked them todo a full test at lfs with the liquid tests and they said all was well. But i dont have much faith because i tested the nitrates on my own and it showed some. Can there be other issues... I asked once before for assistance because my fish does the side dives and shakes when the lighgts are on... I lost my frontosa and a auratus i think... The other fish seem healthy all eat well and are active. I am so sad to lose my frontoisa he was teh reason i got the tank... Thank you agaion fo rall your quick help it is always appreciated. I will go out and buy a nitrite tester as well. The only other thing perhaps the ph depending on the tester are between 7.6- 8. But my liquid test shows atleast 7.8. I lost my beautiful male australian red claw yabbie (another tank) this week. I am so not happy.

Date: September 20, 2008 09:49PM

high nitrates wil NOT kill your fish even at 80ppm.. High NITRITES will kill them at the 10ppm that U had earlier.. That is why I asked U if U were sure it is the NITRITES and not the NITRATES..

Nitrates at a high level are to much proteins which means to much FOOD..
Feed only once a day to every other day.. They wont' starve and your small tank wil do better..

A bigger better filter may be needed. U need 10x the gallons per hour=GPH for a 29.. that is 290 GPH on this tank.. So updating your filter may help U out here..

U are always gong to have nitrates in the tank.. U can not keep them out.. they do nothing serious to the health of the fish UNLESS they get above 60ppm and it is only minor problems.. U Vaccumming the gravel bed WEEKLY will keep these down and a 5 gal water change each time.. 5ppm is great.. I wish my 125 gal were that, but they are closer to 60ppm..

Your pH is low but not that low to kill the fish..

Do U clean the filter box out?? I mean at least by-weekly clean the filter box out completly.. Keep the media pads cleaned weekly too and new ones monthly..

I bet something else is going on in the tank..

AS I said, FINE at the LFS is not telling U anything. Did they give U the ppm of all?? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates???
Ammonia and NITRITES need to be 0ppm.. NITRATES are always in the water but best to keep them under 20ppm..

Do the tests on the nitrites and see where they are.. Post back when U find the problem..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2008 09:50PM by Barb Okla.

Date: September 21, 2008 12:56AM

Once again thank you for taking th etime to try and asist... The lfs told me my ammonia and nitrites are zero. In fact another worker there was assiting me as well and asked the girl who did the tests .." are you sure everything was zero..? repeated its important." And teh girl said yes everything was good. But i definitely have not cleaned out my filter regularly. I clean the media every couple of weeks. So i will definitely keep doing my my regular water changes and will add more cleaning of the filter box. Hopefully that will help. As for now the fish that are in there seem to be active and nice coloring... I am dedicated to keeping them healthy. I will purchase more tests and double check my nitrites and ammonia.
Now i hope i am not pushing my luck but i was wondering if i may bother you for another bit of advice. I have cut down to one feeding a day and rotating at the suggestion of a worker my feedings. The fish all seem to respond to the frozen krill and frozen emarold entree. But the flakes mostly stay on top and the acei, socolofi, and bumblebee race to teh top to eat (so did the auratus before he passed) but the two calvus never come to feed at the top. should i worry about them getting food ( i try to blow a little so they sink and give them a chance to eat) or are the other feedings enough?
I feed 3 days on one off more or less.
Thank you again you have been really informatyive and i really enjoying looking at others pictures and reading the forums.

Date: September 21, 2008 01:09PM

Once U clean the filter BOX out at the sink, then your tank will ajust back to normal. U might have to do another 5 gal water change ON DAY TWO to help with the water quality here.. Use NEW media pads for now and keep them cleaned weekly and reuse.. I use the sink with my finger under the fauset head to get a hard spray and rinse them off good . U will figure it out as U go.. Filter media pads are expensive, U can reuse them..

IT is like U never flushing your tolet.. Think of a filter that way..

Clean the filter box ever other week, but now, just rinse it out good.. Tap water is fine, your bio is all over inside the tank, not just the filter BOX and that is mostly on the media pad but it needs to be cleaned or replaced to new.. NOT a problem in a cycled tank.. They get bogged down and that turns your tank water into a toxic waste land..

Your feeding is fine and U do need to sink some food to the others. Flakes are fine but your filters will get most.. Find a sinking pellet and try a few of those per feeding..

U wont' need the tests once U keep the tank and filter cleaned weekly.. THAT has been your problem.. But it is good to have the test on hand anyway.. Teach U about water quality.. A dirty filter wil undo a cycled tank and kill fish..

On a tank this size do 5 gal out and back in WEEKLY.. U can do 10 gal and still be safe but no more than that.. 5 gal minus 1gal is 20% and the 10 gal is 30% + 1 gal..

U do need a bigger tank here about a 55gal if U can manage one.. Please dont' add in more cichlids until U get another tank and seperate them out, or a bigger one for them all.

Date: September 21, 2008 01:23PM

Consider it odne... thank you for being patient and helping me here... I will keep all that you say in mind and in the process of trying to get a larger tank. Money is a little tight but i am working on it. Thank you again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.