cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
African and oscar compatibility
Posted by: Pamelajean8098 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 03:52PM

Hello everyone. I just came home from the pet store today. I picked out two different cichlids, a tiger oscar and a african, that's what my receipt says. I didn't know what I was getting into until I came home and started doing some research. But I'm up for the challenge.

Just looking for advice and someone to answer some questions for me please.

The lady at Petsmart just said to get a small oscar because they're territorial. Now the African seems more aggressive. I'm hoping they can live together peacefully and just need to know how! yawning smiley)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: African and oscar compatibility
Posted by: Raul "Rrocket2002", ()
Date: May 20, 2008 07:03PM

What kind of African did you bring home?

Posted by: kay-bee19 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 07:33PM

Mixing cichlids from different geographic regions isn't recommended as incompatibility issues can manifest. Living together peacefully isn't a likely outcome (though people have kept them together with varying degrees of success).

I recommend returning the african cichlid (the reason being the oscar is more suited to solitary set ups than most african cichlids which prefer to be in well-sized groups). Can you post a picture of it or describe what the african cichlid looks like.

By the way, how large is your tank?

-----------------

Several Rift Lake and Reef Aquariums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2008 07:35PM by kay-bee19.

Date: May 20, 2008 07:46PM

I called the store to get the name of the african, it is Acei. I've been doing some research online. I'm kinda upset the store told us they'd be fine, as it sounds like they are completely different. But, they're here now, so we're going to do what we can to make it work.

I realize we should have researched this before purchasing them, no going back now.

My tank is 30 gallons. On the small side from what I've been reading so we'll likely have to upgrade in the future.

There is also a Pleco in it that we've had just over a month now...

Date: May 20, 2008 08:06PM

Acei's are among the most peaceful of the mbuna species (which are a type of african cichlid). On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the highest), they typically rate a "1" (which gives you and idea how fortunate you are that you didn't get a more aggressive type of mbuna).

From what I understand of the oscar's growth rate, "the future" may be sooner than you think (I've never owned one but I believe young oscars can grow an inch per month, with single adult specimens requiring 55-75gal tanks). It may be possible that as the oscar outgrows the acei it might be capable of eating it.

Without selling/trading one of them, it will be interesting to see how every thing will work out (aggression typically increases with maturity).

-----------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2008 08:08PM by kay-bee19.

Date: May 20, 2008 08:12PM

Yes, I read they grow pretty fast. And that my african should be very well behaved. However, she/he seems to be the bully of the tank so far. The store also only had 30 gallons listed for the Oscar....They shouldn't sell things they don't know about IMO

Posted by: robs ()
Date: May 21, 2008 04:42AM

i'd say try and take the oscar back get another acci and then research for another tank mate if u want

Date: May 21, 2008 02:07PM

After much consideration we did decide to take the oscar back. Everything I've read made it seem like that would be the only choice. So we're sticking with Africans, we have the the acei, a lab and an auratus. Still the supposedly least aggressive acei is the bully, chasing the other fish around....we'll see how this goes

Date: May 21, 2008 03:10PM

Mbuna's are territorial and will initially regard newcomers to the tank as intruders to their territory. Ultimately, however, I think it will be the auratus which will eventually rule the day. (I'm assuming you replaced the oscar with the yellow lab and auratus). It may tank a couple of days for them to become established in the tank and assert themselves. I'd say the days of the acei being the tank dominant are numbered.

Mbunas establish pecking orders and the fewer the fish the greater the aggression (they do best in larger groups). A larger tank and more mbuna's are still recommended (well actually required with an auratus in the tank, the queue to upgrade is when the auratus begins to ramp up its aggression level to a greater degree than what has been exhibited by the acei thus far).

-----------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2008 03:11PM by kay-bee19.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.