cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
what can I put in with my oscar?
Posted by: Mytsweet79 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 09:37PM

I have a tiger oscar I got another oscar today, at first they were doing great together, then the trouble started! "coop" my tiger oscar went after "red" a beautiful oscar who was about the same size, I got a 90 gallon tank, right now all that is in it is "coop" my irredecent shark ("Jaws"winking smiley, and my UGLY algae eater. "Red" has been moved into my 55 gallon, as about 3 hours after "red" and "coop" were in the 90 gallon together they started girateing, and locking lips, went to the pet store got a back ground and when we came home they had done some damage so I removed "red" and he(or she) is now in the 55 gallon. What can I put in with a tiger oscar? I want to put more than 3 fish in my 90 gallon, I just don't want more injuries! any help is appreciated. I will try to send pics if requested. THANK YOU!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what can I put in with my oscar?
Posted by: Dustin ()
Date: February 21, 2008 06:10PM

I would either go with convicts, firemouths or even maybe a jack dempsey. Also a good addition would be a small school (3-5) of silver dollars.

Posted by: pred11 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:30PM

i have convicts, true texans, featherfin cats and neon panchax in with my oscar in a 60 g tank, the panchax get bullied but otherwise they all get on fine.

Posted by: BrettMRC ()
Date: March 06, 2008 06:58AM

I have a pair of 9" Birchirs on with my 14" Oscar and have no problems.

Posted by: wizzy ()
Date: March 06, 2008 08:33AM

I have a 125 tank, 1 tiger oscar with 1 female JD,1 male adult convict,1 sajica,6 rainbows ( bosmani). I found the trick was to add them all to the tank at the same time .I dont know if thats going to be very helpful though.Its a bit of a problem when the oscar has already decided that its going to be his tank .
Anyway you can rehouse them for a few days, then rearrange the tank and try again ? Good luck xxxx

Posted by: Tazman ()
Date: March 28, 2008 11:35AM

Anytime you introduce fish to a tank that already has fish there will be trouble the fish in the tank already have their turf so I have found that if you turn out your lights and move your plants or rearange the things on the bottom of your tank all fish will be forced to find and make a new truff it has always worked for me when you are done and your new fish is in the tank wait 1 to 2 hours then turn on your lights and everything should be ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.