my cichlid has laid eggs ...
Posted by: ejellson ()
Date: August 10, 2007 01:50PM

my cichlid has laid eggs...how long until they hatch and then what do I do

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my cichlid has laid eggs ...
Posted by: Reba47 ()
Date: August 10, 2007 02:43PM

Hi There, mine laid eggs last wknd...Now the eggs are gone and they are acting weird...You are in for a different experience, as I have been going thru..It is so cool, and fun! Read my posts about them acting weird, my convicts..It is about their eggs and how they are acting
Becky

Date: August 10, 2007 03:21PM

Thank you...female keeps bumping into male to keep him away / the tank is now divided keeping all other fish to one side / Some one I would need to remove eiter the male or female is that true? I have assorted fish in my tank ranging from Bala Shark to passive Green terror to Blue Acara does that matter

Date: August 10, 2007 03:35PM

I don't know that much about them, I am new also. I just wanted u to know what I have been going thru with the new mom and dad. Funny mine is opposite. The male keeps chasing her back to the spot. If he catches her away he chases her right back..He is so stressed all the time wondering what she is doing..He bumpes her all the time.. I think it is kinda neat and comical..The tank is in such a mess, they have moved all the fake plants and some are floating, I put them in there good too. They move them like it was nothing.
She laid her eggs, then a few days later they covered up that spot, took one of the fake plants and stuck it in there and a bunch of rock..Now they are on the other side.she has her nose stuck in this hole all the time. I can't see anything in there. Barb says they are so small that we can't. She said in 5-7 days we should see them around. Keep me updated on yours and how they are acting.
You can even email me if you want..
Becky

Date: August 10, 2007 04:29PM

Well now there are no eggs so not sure what is going on... the eggs were a light almost white ish color that blend into the stoen and now well I guess no tank cleaning for at least a week... Do you know if you have to remove one of the fish once I see the fry?

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: August 10, 2007 06:00PM

Ok you two.. the blind leading the blinder.. winking smiley

NUMBER ONE: what kind of fish/cichlids are you talking about??
Are they the same species or different ones that have spawned??

Whitish eggs mean they are not fertile and they will eat them on the secound to third day.. IF any survived, they are in the gravel being watched by the couple.. the Wiggles as they are called now, will eat their egg sacks for 5 to 7 days then go free swim. You wil not see them until they do. DO not feed them until you see them all over the tank.. IF they ate them all then they will spawn again in few weeks..

IF you want to keep the fry, then get a divider or another tank just for the couple..

cichlids with Tropicals is a no no.. They wil eat the eggs if they get a chance. Especially at nite.. This can be a blessing if you dont' have more tanks to house JUST the fry in for several months..

Males keep everyone away from the nest and help with the fry later.. SO NO you do not have to take ONE out when the eggs hatch..

It is more than a container with fish!!
I HAD 12 tanks running!! but moved so only 4 going strong!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2007 06:01PM by Barb Okla.

Date: August 11, 2007 11:59AM

You are so right Barb, lol
My eggs were yellow looking, and now like I said they covered the egg area up with rocks and moved to the other side of the cave. She keeps her nose contanstly in that hole on the side of the cave..I could see the eggs well, when they were there, now I can't see anything.
Becky

Date: August 11, 2007 01:32PM

they are not eggs anymore, they are wiggles. They dont' move eggs, just after they hatch..

Posted by: Angela ()
Date: September 06, 2007 05:01PM

Hello!

I have two Jewel Cichlids. They were in a 20 gallon tank with two Jack Dempsey's. The jewels started acting strange and very territorial. The jewels spawned. We removed the dempseys and it is just the jewels in there. Their eggs are wiggling like crazy. And we are wondering what to do next. Should we put the other fish back in there so that the jewels are distracted and don't kill one another (seperated from the other fish of coarse) or should we leave them alone?

Thanks

Angela

Date: September 06, 2007 05:58PM

I would leave them alone.. IF it is just the parents and the eggs/then fry, let them take care of them.. they should not kill each other.. I have read where they are great parents..

Date: September 07, 2007 09:36AM

It took about 10-12 days before we saw anything. When they moved them it was about another week till we saw the wigglers. Now they are growing really fast. That was a month ago.. Mom and Dad are still very protective and have their own tank..Have fun.

Posted by: daftlad01 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 01:29PM

hello there my cichlids have laid eggs and there green can you tell me wether these are fertil or not yet or will i have to wait and see i dont know what type of cichlid i have but they are greenish with black strips and keep changing to spots

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.