cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
south american tank mates
Posted by: neal olsen ()
Date: March 18, 2007 06:04PM

I have a 50 gallon tank with a generic eheim 2028 canister filter. I am new to cichlids and i have just put in my tank over the last couple weeks, 1 jack dempsey, 2 convicts, 2 firemouths and 1 midas. Is there another cichlid that would make a decent tank mate. I have a lot of rocks and the water quality is pretty good. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated. I am open to any ideas or thoughts. Thanks Neal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: south american tank mates
Posted by: Marc ()
Date: March 18, 2007 08:01PM

No more tankmates it's already overstocked. The Midas will grow much larger much faster than the rest and will end up making their life hell. Eventually he will outgrow the 50g and the minimum tanksize for him will be 75g.

Date: March 19, 2007 05:06PM

Even though most of the other cichlids are less than an 1nch long? I have seen some other 55 gallon tanks with well over 6 cichlids in it. I have a lot of rocks. I thought as long as the water was clean you could have a good number of fish? I would never have 15 to 20 fish in a 50 gallon aquarium but if I wanted that many I would need a 300 gallon aquarium?

Posted by: Alex F. ()
Date: March 19, 2007 09:23PM

Umm its not just water quality its aggression cichlids confined will end up fighting for space and more than likely soem will be killed. The size of a tank matters greatly for fish if the tank is smaller then the minimum requirement then its really bad for the fish long term health.

Date: March 19, 2007 11:25PM

So if i wanted lets say 20 cichkids how big a tank would i need?

Posted by: Marc ()
Date: March 20, 2007 01:39AM

Well that all depends on what type of cichllid. If your talking about the larger more aggressive cichlids such as Midas etc. then just think about the recomended tank size for a single adult, which 9 out of 10 times is 75g per fish. Although with a large community aquarium the gallons per fish will not be this dramatic but the tank would have to be **HUUUUUUUUGE!**

Date: March 20, 2007 07:40PM

What type of cichlids would be on the smaller side because I would like to get a 300 gallon tank in a couple months and I would likt to have a good variety of fish?

Date: March 21, 2007 09:28PM

Maybe some Mbuna

Date: March 21, 2007 09:31PM

I have a 75 gal south american with 2 firemouth, a green terror, a convict, and a salvini and thats doin pretty good soe maybe do a combo liek thate but 30 fish a hell of alot of these species

Posted by: lukepghpa ()
Date: March 27, 2007 09:37AM

severums are awesome, definately get some

Posted by: lukepghpa ()
Date: March 27, 2007 09:43AM

i just read some of your other posts...if you are planning on getting a 300 gallon tank i hope it's going on the ground level of your house or you plan on strengthening your floors...remember, a gallon of water weighs about 10 pounds, plus with rocks and a substrate you are looking at a tank that will weigh over 3000 pounds...my 72 gallon weighs over 1000 pounds easily...i've already had to move it a few times because of how heavy it is and its not fun moving a big tank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.