cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Peacock Eye Infection
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: February 18, 2007 04:10PM

My peacock has a cloudy eye. It looks swollen as well, What is this and how do I treat it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peacock Eye Infection
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: February 18, 2007 07:40PM

Cloudy eye is from bad water quailty.. High nitrites to high nitrates.. Also a dirty filter wil help feed these and make it worse.. VACUUM the substrate really good and remove the deco before you do.. CLEAN THE FITLER OUT!! NOT just change the filter pad.. I clean my filters in the sink with brushes and hot water.. Do a good 30% water change too.. That is 30% of your tanks water volume.. So your tank size x .30%= This amount.. ROUND it off the the nearest even 10, 20, 30 gal so you can add in water conditoners/salt to your exchange water..

NOW on meds.. clean the tank/filter and do some MelaFix/PrimaFix for 7 days.. REMOVE ALL CARBON FROM YOUR FILTER PADS!! To do a sealed filter pad, just cut a slit at the TOP on a NEW DRY filter pad and shake out the carbon.. USE this pad only when you med the tank..
these meds wil NOT hurt other fish in your tank or distroy your bio like other meds can do.. Please remember that this is a daily med for 7 days...

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Posted by: atif ()
Date: May 21, 2007 12:26AM

hello, the cloudy eye is perhaps due to old age. i have a pair both of them have developed the same symptoms. This can adverse affect their food and water intake as the cloudy eye affects eye sight. can also result in bouts of 'frights' as the birds cannot make out of their surroundings.

also after 10 years i have noticed that one of the pea-hens has changed its feathers and now this season looks more like a 9 month old male foul, it has shed its grey feathers and has grown green crest and tail feathers.

tc

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: June 15, 2007 09:06PM

Wow, I was definitely talking about a peacock cichlid...not a bird. lmao

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.