cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Male or Female Convict Cichlid??
Posted by: 0551 ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:09PM

I have a 1ft tank containing sevral fish, including: 4 gourami's, a cherry barb, a platty, 2 minnows, plec and 2 convict cichlids.

Out of the 2 cichlids, one is much larger and colourful than the other. The large chiclid is about 1.5inch long, has a healhty black and white colouration on its body, hint of blue on its fins, and has some orange spots on it's belly. However, I am not sure of the sex of this chiclid. Also, as chiclids do, it chases the otehr fish sometimes, as well as the smaller chiclid, but recently, the large chichlid has started making a cave, by empting out all the stones in its' designated area, and does not seem to move this spot.

There are no eggs (yet) as far as I can see, and as I don't know the sex of this chiclid I'm not sure why it's behaving like this.

The other chiclid in my tank is also a convict, but much smaller in comparison and has a dull grey colouration and is usualy hidden away.

Could someone please shed some light, and tell me whether this larger chiclid is a male or female? and whether it's getting ready to breed?

Thanks in advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Male or Female Convict Cichlid??
Posted by: firemouth ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:32PM

You have a 1 ft tank? That is to small to have even one of the fish you listed. What you have are soon to be dead fish. the convict is most likely a female. Sell the fish back to the fish store or buy at least a 55 gallon tank and get rid of all fish but the convicts and the plecostamus.

Re: Male or Female Convict Cichlid??
Posted by: Adam ()
Date: November 21, 2006 01:21PM

I agree, the tank is WAY too small. But since you asked, female convicts have orange on their bodies, males do not. The cave that SHE is making is for her eggs, and she will get VERY deffensive of them. My female convict just had eggs, and she deffended over half of a 3 foot long tank. 1 foot is way to small, and she will most likely kill the other fish in there, or over stress them to the point where they will die.

As for the other convict, you did not give a very good description. All I can say is that if it has absolutely NO orange on it, then it is probably a male.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.