cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Lymphocystis
Posted by: Mallory ()
Date: July 26, 2006 11:30AM

I have posted a question about my marine tank on this site before and the answers I recieved were very helpful, but now I have another question about my clownfish. I have two at about an inch and a half each and they have developed the viral infection Lymphocystis. I'm not sure about treatment or what I should do. Is this fatal? What can I do to help them?

Thanks again to all you cichlid lovers! : )

75 gal

1 livingstoni
2 snow white socolofi
4 yellow labs
3 rusty
1 red zebra
1 red top albino zebra

25 gal (marine tank)

2 ocellaris clowns
2 hermit crabs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lymphocystis
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: July 26, 2006 01:46PM

On my chart for Saltwater fish, it say NONE, should go away on its own..
Lymphocysitis virus known as cauliflower disease, it is a viral infection and usually clears up on its own.. Unsure here, I always like to kill out a virus with good meds so it does not come back...

I got this information from the Krib..

[faq.thekrib.com]

YOU can do a search on saltwater fish disease and see what other information treatments U come up with.. Barb

It is more than a container with fish!!
I HAD 12 tanks running!! but moved so only 4 going strong!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Posted by: kris ()
Date: July 26, 2006 05:54PM

all viruses are known to be incurable, they spread and the infected fish needs to be isolated or just taken out of its misery. i seen viruses work, not pretty. before, when my dad was a breeder of fish (mostly goldfish) we had this freezer to store frozen food and that thing was half full of dead goldfishes, i remember seeing them just look fine then get something and you know the rest. UV sterilizers are great for preventing viral infections but its probably too late for your fish. bacteria infections are treatable but viruses no

People, i am the definition of addicted to cichlids

my tanks:
250 gallon Malawi/Tanganyika pond
6 eye biter fry
11 yellow labs 1 adult and 10 fry
9 auratus 1 adult and 8 fry
6 snowy white socolofi fry
7 kenyi fry(i hope these dont die i got bad luck with em)
6 white cichlids dont kno what they are
6 ob zebra fry
7 rusty
1 borley
8 burundi frontosa
8 red zebra
7 cobalt blue 1 adult and 6 medium fish

87 fish(i think theres more like 100 now)

95 gallon goldfish tank
2 comet goldfish
1 plecostomus
a feeder

50 gallon tropheus tank
4 ikola tropheus
12 molorio reds
6 dubosi

22 tropheus

Note: the cichlids i have will all be placed into a 5000 gallon pond system once built aiming for about 400 cichlids total

10 gallon quarantine

other 10 gallon quarantine

5 gallon
betta male

join electricblue's site [electricblue.suddenlaunch3.com] smiling smiley

Posted by: SabrinaD ()
Date: July 26, 2006 06:24PM

While viruses are untreatable for the most part (there are anti-viral drugs but they are expensive and reserved for serious human illnesses), some are "self-limiting". The info I've seen on this one says that it grows and "pops" then it's done. It may be around in the tank for a while though and it needs an injury to get into a fish. In this case, the virus is not deadly (not all are). What I didn't see was how virulent this one is (how easily it spreads to other fish).

SabrinaD
75 gallon
7 L. caeruleus
6 M. cyaneorhabdos
4 Rusty Cichlids
2 A. Jacobfriebergi
2 Zebra Obliquedens
1 common Pleco

Date: July 26, 2006 10:14PM

So, does that mean my fish will die?

Posted by: SabrinaD ()
Date: July 26, 2006 10:57PM

Proabably not. From what I've read it usually stops before it causes the fishes death (that's what self limiting means). Now if it was infecting say the fish's mouth parts and got too large, the fish may stop eating and die, but it's not directly from the virus. Where is the fish infected? I might go ahead and add some melafix to help the wounds heal and prevent secondary infection (and hopefully prevent the spread to other fish by keeping their scales and fins in good shape).

SabrinaD
75 gallon
7 L. caeruleus
6 M. cyaneorhabdos
4 Rusty Cichlids
2 A. Jacobfriebergi
2 Zebra Obliquedens
1 common Pleco

Date: July 27, 2006 11:17AM

One of the fish has it right on top of its dorsal fin and the other has it on its right side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.