cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
most aggressive cichlid
Posted by: RRR ()
Date: March 15, 2000 03:16AM

What do u think is the most aggressive cichlid.
i think it's a triple tie for first: umbriferum, buttikoferi,dovii
fourth: arrow cichlid
fifth: festae

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: most aggressive cichlid
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: March 15, 2000 01:37PM

I had to share this. It's not a cichlid but I had a foot long albino channel cat that killed a large green terror, and mauled my prize tiger oscar. Fortunately, I was able to revive the oscar, but he literally had strips of flesh hanging off of him and it took a long time to recover. It's not so much aggression, more like hunger that drove this cat (as with most).

I have a large Jack Dempsey that bullies an almost full grown Midas cichlid, which aren't pushovers themselves. JD's aren't known outright for their aggression, but can be fiesty (and beautiful).

Posted by: Lisa ()
Date: March 15, 2000 04:33PM

I had that same exact problem before with an albino channel cat. He would suck on the side of my Oscar till he had nasty sores. Needless to say when I finally realized what had been happening to him I got rid of that channel and never got another.

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: March 15, 2000 09:44PM

I think that size for size convicts are the most aggressive cichlid. I have 1/2 inch convicts living in tanks with 8 inch Demseys, 4 inchs Jaguars, and 6 inch Oscars. I also have a 5 inch Pink Convict that gets along fine in a 90 gallon with two Midas Cichlids that are 8 and 12 inches.

Dovii are also in the running. I have never seen a tank in which a Dovii lived that was not ruled by that Dovii.

And since other people mentioned fish other than Cichlids; I just got rid of a 12 inch red snakehead. He was literally taking chunks out of silver dollars, demseys, and eating convicts. I have also had snakeheads that would kill fish twice their size and not eat them.

Bill

Posted by: Bird ()
Date: March 15, 2000 10:41PM

I agree with the list RRR posted based on my readings,however here are the most aggresive cichlids i've kept in order of their aggresion.

1. salvini
2. 5 spot jewel (hemichromis elongatus)
3. convict
4. johanni
5. texas (carpinte)

Overrated cichlid is green terror.
Most passive cichlid is jack dempsey.

This is simply based on my 21yrs of cichlid keeping and does'nt apply in all cases.

Bird

Posted by: Michael ()
Date: March 16, 2000 06:24PM

My list of most aggressive cichlids are as follows:
RED DEVIL
RED DEVIL
RED DEVIL
GREEN TERROR
CONVICT
JAGUAR

this is based on my experience and not everyones fish are always as mean as others. I list the Red Devil three times because from my experience they are the meanest by far. for its size the convict might be close but doesn't have the size to take out all fish it may want too. some green terrors are not as mean as others, I have two, one is small and as of yet is not agressive. the larger one usually attempts one "murder" a day. I have found if you don't want your fish to fight, you have to buy more tanks to separate them. my red devils will fight with any fish close to its size and it doesn't matter what size of tank you get, unless you can afford to go 300 gallons or larger. all cichlids tend to calm down when given this much space. I have heard the red terror is a bad dude, but have not kept one as of yet. I myself am not attracted to the cichlids because they are aggressive behavior, I like them for their color, and general looks. but have to tolerate the aggression. see ya. Michael

Posted by: RCB ()
Date: March 16, 2000 07:22PM

You all have to agree with this: the absolute MEANEST cichlid that I have ever seen is a convict with babies. While many cichlids will attack other fish, these are the only ones that have attacked me (literally--it swam up and bit me about 10 times before I realized what it was... not that it could do anything though at 1.5 inches)

second to that are some large pseudotropheus fishes I kept for a while... They are born to fight and only get worse as they grow.

Posted by: Jack ()
Date: March 16, 2000 09:06PM

I agree with both Michael and RCB. I've seen a small pair of convicts with fry and the male was really trying to get at giant me through the glass! Awesome. And I agree with Michael's green terror. My present g.t. is a wuss, hides and does no gill flaring. But the large one I had a few years back, watch out! A candidate for a tank-buster for sure! He was huge, too.

Posted by: COREY ()
Date: March 17, 2000 06:59PM

im not shur a snakehead is a cichlid but their mean ,i had one that killed every thing in the tank including red devils green terrers oscers and a convict but the snake head died in a battle with a 10 inch jack dempse witch also died

Posted by: Perch ()
Date: March 20, 2000 11:55PM

i've had convicts which were twice the size of my pseudotropheus species that took a constant ass whoopin so i have to disagree with all of the convict comments. My personal most aggressive cichlid is:
1. Pseudotropheus socolofi
2. Melanchromis parallaleus
3. Johani
4. Mel. Aurautus
5. Red Zebra
Also my 6'' piranha would destroy and eat my entire school; of 20 full grown africans within 1 week. I guarantee that.

Posted by: Johnny ()
Date: March 21, 2000 11:46PM

believe it or not I had an orange gourami that killed 1 fighting fish and a big oscar. It also killed another cichlid but I fogot what kind. so for me the most aggresive fish I ever had was an orange gourami. I guess i find the freaks. and if you know any info on either pike cichlids or vropholum cichlids. thanx

Posted by: david ()
Date: March 23, 2000 12:17AM

I agree that the red devil is the most aggresive cichlid. I recently had three red devils in a tank and the smallest of them killed one and nearly killed the other. I was angry about what had happened so i threw the killer in with my pirahna, just to see how fast it would be eaten, but to my soprise the red devil which was half the size of my pirahna proceeded to kill it within minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael wrote:
-------------------------------
My list of most aggressive cichlids are as follows:
RED DEVIL
RED DEVIL
RED DEVIL
GREEN TERROR
CONVICT
JAGUAR

this is based on my experience and not everyones fish are always as mean as others. I list the Red Devil three times because from my experience they are the meanest by far. for its size the convict might be close but doesn't have the size to take out all fish it may want too. some green terrors are not as mean as others, I have two, one is small and as of yet is not agressive. the larger one usually attempts one "murder" a day. I have found if you don't want your fish to fight, you have to buy more tanks to separate them. my red devils will fight with any fish close to its size and it doesn't matter what size of tank you get, unless you can afford to go 300 gallons or larger. all cichlids tend to calm down when given this much space. I have heard the red terror is a bad dude, but have not kept one as of yet. I myself am not attracted to the cichlids because they ar....

Posted by: D C ()
Date: March 23, 2000 05:25PM

How big is this orange gourami?

Posted by: umd ()
Date: March 27, 2000 02:13AM

and how small the oscar? smiling smiley

Posted by: Johnny ()
Date: March 27, 2000 11:13PM

The orange gourami was a little bigger then the oscar but not much.

Posted by: Brent ()
Date: April 11, 2000 08:30PM

I' had a red devil that also attacked me when it laid it's eggs... If you even went near the tank the damn thing would attack the glass, you could hear it hitting the glass... It even struck blood when it hit me one time, nothing at all serious but still scared the crap out of me... I say they are some wicked little buggers...

Later,
Brent

Posted by: anotherJeff ()
Date: April 28, 2000 04:03PM

Ive got a red snakehead in with an aro and some jacks and what not the Meanest fish I have and this is weird is a blood parrot I have that is only about 2-3" I put him in the tank with the snakehead aro and other cichlids I have and he proceeded to try and one by one kick all of the cichlids out of their caves. He managed it with the two jacks I have as they just plonder along looking for food but he got the crap beat out of him by the snakehead. The snakehead never bit him but it just chased and pushed him around the tank for most of the day. The snakehead I will say is the biggest glutton I have seen. The aro and him went through 60+ roseys in about 10 hours at most. I had parts of Roseys all over the tank. I fished out a good 10 that might have been 5 if they were whole I dunno. The snakehead is just a glutton and always hungry they will kill whatever and eat half at most.

Posted by: hutstone ()
Date: June 10, 2000 10:43PM

no....im gonna have to disagree with perch.I had a sicolofi and it got bullied and bullied and bullied by ALL the other fish in the tank.

here are the most agressive fish
1-horas loach (by far...it attacks my texas cichlid all the time)
2-zebra cichlid (killed ALL the other fish in the tank then went after my 15 inch pleco)
3-cichlasoma sajica (chases ALL AND EVERYTHING around the whole tank)
4-red devil (just looked at themat the pet store chasing everything around)
5-breeding buffalo heads (killed a 20 inch rope fish)

Posted by: Ragemaster4 ()
Date: January 01, 2001 10:33AM

I'd say the Umbee. Growing to a metre in the wild, it will kill anything you put in the tank!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.