cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
how much aquarium salt do i put in my cichlid tank per gallon
Posted by: cam ()
Date: October 19, 2005 10:14PM

i want to keep parisites out of my water.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how much aquarium salt do i put in my cichlid tank per gallon
Posted by: cam ()
Date: October 20, 2005 01:07PM

i want to kill these nasty larvae in my filter box there stuck in my filter pads

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: October 20, 2005 03:24PM

Then take out the pads and run them under HOT water AND OR throw them away..

Salt is not a parasite killer. The dose for a tank is 1 tablespoon per 5 gal of water..IF you have cory cats to plecos, I would do per 10 gal. They dont' like salt as it irrates them..

Please dont' add in more as it wil stress the fish causing DEATH to happen within hours.

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Posted by: SabrinaD ()
Date: October 20, 2005 04:03PM

Copper can kill parasites (like ich and other external parasites) but it can also harm snail and other invertabrates as well as some plants. Mardel coppersafe stays in the water for a month (mostly coming out with water changes and Aquri-sol is one that can be added daily but will be removed by activated carbon. Some people have suggested to get rid of snails that a copper penny be put in the filter. If you have Africans in a high pH, copper is okay, but if you have Americans, the low pH can lead to less oxygen in the water and cause problems.

SabrinaD
75 gallon
7 L. caeruleus
6 M. cyaneorhabdos
4 Rusty Cichlids
2 A. Jacobfriebergi
2 Zebra Obliquedens
1 common Pleco

Posted by: DevinJM ()
Date: October 20, 2005 09:43PM

Do NOT use pennies unless they are from before 1969, because after that is when they discoverd that a pennie was costing more than 1c to make, and If you do use an old pennie, you need to clean the crap out of it with say a felt wheel, or a grinder or something cause they get extremely dirty.

Posted by: SabrinaD ()
Date: October 20, 2005 11:43PM

That's what I thought because the new ones have zinc but no one thought that was a problem where I heard about it.

SabrinaD
75 gallon
7 L. caeruleus
6 M. cyaneorhabdos
4 Rusty Cichlids
2 A. Jacobfriebergi
2 Zebra Obliquedens
1 common Pleco

Posted by: DCart ()
Date: October 21, 2005 12:50AM

The salt dosage can actually vary depending on what kind of cichlids you have. For americans, hardly any, for malawi cichlids, you can do a little more than a tablespoon for 5 gallons. In my tanganyikan tank, i put a half cup for every 10 gallons. you don't need to do that if you have never dealt with salt before, and sosme people will probably say i add too much, but they do exceptionally well. As far as parasites, DO NOT use any product made by mardel. its a long story, but the medicines generally do not work, and they actually killed two of my fish. What you have, (larva in your cartrige?) sounds to me like you have been feeding some dirty foods and you have a nice tubiflex worm colony beginning. If tubiflex is what they are, then the fish will generally eat them so you shouldn't have any reason to worry. But if you are convinced that they are some other kind of worm, trash the cartrige.

"This is how I see it: If you were a fish, would you like getting punched? No I don't think so, I know I wouldn't."

Posted by: Cam ()
Date: October 21, 2005 10:42AM

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.