cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
SICK BLOOD PARROT, HELP
Posted by: cmoss ()
Date: August 12, 2005 12:42AM

My usually feisty parrot is very ill he is changing colors he has white patches over his body and he just sits at the bottom of the tank almost like he is dead. He perks up if I bump the glass but quickly goes back to the bottom of the tank and just lays there? I tried researching diseases but there are several possible diseases Ick, Itch, Fish TB. Help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SICK BLOOD PARROT, HELP
Posted by: germanbwfreak ()
Date: August 12, 2005 01:06AM

sounds like ich.. are they like dots?? pics will help greatly. u need to do do a 30% waterchange and clean your filter box and get some ich medicine others here can help you on ich. i havent never treated it. go to your lfs and check out the ich medcine and follow the directions.

55 gal tank
1 oscar aka oscar
1 red zebra aka lil devil
1 pleco aka sucker
1 convict aka jailbird
1 jack dempsey aka jack
1 snowflake eel aka lazyass

29 gal
1 ghost angle
4 tiger barbs
2 bristelnose catfish

20 gal hospital

10 gal currently cycling

1 gal
1 betta aka chase

Date: August 12, 2005 01:15AM

not really dots more like a slow discoloration over the fish with a small dime size patch on the side. i have a 30 g tank with 2 other fish and they are fine i just did a 50% water change 4 days ago and replaced the filters. im not a member cant post picks

Posted by: germanbwfreak ()
Date: August 12, 2005 01:42AM

u are a member it shows click on attach on the bottom of the screen and u can upload pics. ich is small spots. it doesnt sound like ich then. i will have to see pics since i dont know much about blood parrots. tommorow more people will be able to help ui

Posted by: Terry ()
Date: August 12, 2005 07:53AM

I have 4 parrots. Two are blood parrots. This very same thing happened to one of them. It looked like his color was fading and he had "white patches" all over him. I couldn't find anything in any books or on web sites. Whatever this was just ran its course. He rested at the bottom or in a corner behind plants, but he continued to eat.

He is fine now, but his color is a creamy orange or like a pastel or sherbert orange. I find with my parrots they often lay on the bottom or go off to the corner even when nothing is wrong.

Is yours still eating? Also, do you have more than one?

Date: August 12, 2005 09:46AM

HE eats very little I woke up this morning and would have sworn he was dead I hit the glass he barely moved. Even his breathing has slowed to almost nothing. I think he is on his last legs.

Date: August 12, 2005 09:56AM

What are the other fish in the tank with him? Have you tested the water?

Date: August 12, 2005 10:14AM

I have 1 molly and the other im not sure what it is its a really small cichlid of some kind. I have the little strips and the were all within range

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2005 10:18AM by cmoss.

Date: August 12, 2005 10:34AM

Shoot...I wish I could help, but like I said earlier, when mine went thru that I couldn't find any info on it. My parrot is the light orange now and he still has areas where the scales never really grew back all the way.

I remember now that I did put salt and stress coat in the water and thank goodness he rode it out and got better. Hopefully he will continue to eat even if its just a little bit so he can keep up his strength thru this process. Maybe you could entice him with some shrimp or other meaty foods.

Posted by: electricblue ()
Date: August 12, 2005 11:29AM

I can't be %100 sure without a picture, but it sounds like a fungus to me. For fungus I usually treat with a Med called Coppersafe by Mardel. I believe there is also a a med out there called Tank Buddies FungusClear by Jungle. Hope this helps...

African 155 Gallon:
8 Yellow Labidochromis (3 males, 5 females)
10" Male Kitumba Congo Frontosa
Five 3 1/2"-4 1/2" Kigoma Seven Stripe Frontosas
4" Male Demasoni
7" Male Taiwan Reef
6" Male Haplochromis Sp. "Dayglow"
Trio of 4" Brichardis
Trio of 5" Kenyi (1 male, 2 females)
Pair of 5" Electric Blue Ahli
7" Green Severum
& an 11" African Synodontis Catfish

[Mostly] Amazonian 55 gallon:
60 Kenyi fry 2"+
15 Yellow Labidochromis fry 2 1/2"+

55 Gallon Reef:
2 Yellow-Tailed Blue Damsels
Breeding pair of XL Maroon Clownfish
3 1/2" Formosa (Fire) Wrasse
Sand-Shifting Starfish
Sebae Anenome
Large Cup Coral Polyp
Yellow Colonial Polyp
Zoanthid Polyp
Large Green Star Polyp
Metallic Green Brain Coral
1 Large Clove Polyp
Sea Grass
10 Hermit Crabs

29 Gallon:
1 Male Altum Angel
1 Female Leopard Angel
Female Moonlight Gourami
Raphael Stripe Catfish
Pleco

Mom and Dad having an argument.

Check out my website:
[electricblue.suddenlaunch3.com]

Date: August 12, 2005 11:55AM

I will send a pic when I get home im at work, but I think my poor fish will be dead bye then. He did not look very good this morning. I will go to the pet shop on my break and get some stress coat and AQ salt.

Date: August 12, 2005 11:59AM

A picture would be real helpful. I have had fish that had fungas that was white or grayish and I know for a fact that wasn't what my parrot had, but it could very well be in your case as electricblue suggested.

Its always good to have stress coat and AQ salt on hand so it won't be a waste of money. Can't wait to see the pic. I hope he/she is better by the time you get home.

Date: August 12, 2005 12:56PM

Im not sure what it is he has been like this for 4 months but his behavior never changed and the other fish were fine.I placed him in the 35g tank because he was fighting and killing my other fish in the 55g tank he had already killed two blue lobsters.

He has always been a pretty feisty fish even nipping at my hand while I vacumed the gravel. I didnt worry about his color because he was ok now he looks like a orange cream cicle.

Date: August 12, 2005 08:24PM

Here are my pics

Date: August 12, 2005 08:44PM

Awwww....poor little thing. That is exactly the same thing that happened to mine. Not only is he now light creamy orange, but he still has a couple of spots where the scales never came back....but he is completely recovered and very healthy.

I hope someone on this board can help identify this. Unfortunately all I can give you is a little hope because I didn't do much of anything and mine got thru it.

Date: August 12, 2005 09:02PM

Should I take him out and treat him or leave him in there and treat all the fish?? Should I remove the decorations?

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: August 12, 2005 09:12PM

OK all,, Your Parrot DOES NOT HAVE A FUNGUS INFECTION. What you see is white pigmintation coming through his orangeness. That is not making him sick. YOU said U did a water change, did you clean the FILTER? I mean take it out and CLEAN IT GOOD!! As I am not at the first post, I do not know your water pH, Ammonia, Nitrites. IF you did the W/Change, that should not be an issue. I do want U to use MELAFIX..This wil not hurt the fish but wil help fight off a bacteria/fungus problems he may be having..SAVE YOUR FISH GET THE MEDS!! Take out all carbon..

O and parrots are breed with AN Red Devil OR a MIDAS..
Here is a pic of one of my midas with the whiteness coming through..
this is my male in 2003. He used to be all orange..

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2005 09:14PM by Barb Okla.

Date: August 12, 2005 09:20PM

ok is it better for me to put him by himself or leave all the other fish in there with him?

Date: August 12, 2005 09:28PM

MelaFix is a natural med. YOU can leave the others in the tank, it will not hurt them..I am not guaranting you fish wil live, it could be something that meds can not cure. He is a big parrot, it could be something not to do with an infection..confused smiley

Posted by: DCart ()
Date: August 13, 2005 01:06AM

One thing about blood parrots is that they are often hypodermically dyed. The dye will eventually detox and fade as he grows. This is why they go from red to light orange. Because it is hard to get blood parrots to breed, because one of the sexes is staril (don't remember which) they are often bred with pink convicts. This makes them even lighter in color. SO there are a number of things that could be the problem, but i'm sure the color fading is a product of dying.

Date: August 13, 2005 11:22AM

parrots are not from convicts, they are to small of a species to get the huge body of a parrot. They are crossed with a severum. This is another agressive fish in small ways. Mine hold their own with all in the tank, even a young 10Mos old Femal Midas, who is going to the LFS today OR tomorrow..smiling smiley

As for the dyeing, most of the orange comes from the Red Devil. Some that have been dyed are faily well faded by the time they get 4" in size. This parrot is a big one and is the color of a RD, but is morphing to a white color. I have read were it is a deficiency in betta carotine, that is an orange pigmentation to help keep them orange..

My Midas was all orange, now he is going to the white, I do recommend IF he survives, to feed HIGH protein color inhanced foods that he can eat, for his mouth is deformed and can not take bulky foods..

Date: August 14, 2005 05:07PM

My poor Parrot has un fortuantely died. I woke up to find him face down in the decorations I guess what ever happened was to him was to much to overcome.

Posted by: ItalianChic101 ()
Date: August 14, 2005 06:20PM

aawww I'm sorry to hear that poor thing. It hurts to see fish suffer and died. I see them everyday at work die

Ro$@ Simone
75 Gallons Brackish:
2 rope fish
4 Mono Sebae
1 Mono Argentus
1 Dwarf Puffer
1 Leopard Puffer
1 Coloumbian Shark
coming soon : archer fish

Posted by: Big Z ()
Date: August 15, 2005 12:41AM

Yeah sorry to hear that man...i just lost one of my favorite cichlids last week for no apparent reason...it does suck...

55 gallon tank:
1 red fin borleyi
2 electric yellows
2 OB Peacocks
2 zebra obliquidens
1 blue peacock
3 red fire queen peacocks
1 pleco
10 gallon saltwater:
1 Talbot damsel
1 Tomato Clown
1 Bi-color Blenny
1 cleaner shrimp
Lots of corals
Vase:
Beta (fish is 5 YEARS OLD!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.