cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
new severum babies
Posted by: severum man ()
Date: July 06, 2005 11:19PM

i discovered tonight that my gold and green severum wich i have had for 2 years now have had about 50 or so babies.....the green severum is heavily protecting the fry and he will not even let me get my face close to the tank without gettin angry and trying to protect them...they are in my 70 gallon tank along with a 5 inch blue acara....and 3 inch firemouth....a 2 inch ram....and a 4 inch parrot....what are the chances of survival if any and what am i supposed to do in this situation...i was also wondering if this will cause any harm to my fish with all the little fry now in the tank....they seem to be trying to eat the flak food i am giving my fish but im not sure if they are really eating it...the temp of the tank is at 80 and the green severum is very agressive all the time...the gold severum just seems to be swimming around the fry but is not very agressive at all...any response would be great i am new to baby fish...thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new severum babies
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: July 06, 2005 11:31PM

You need a stiff plastic divider.. I would get one ASAP..In a 70 gal you will need 2 for a 55 gal and place them together using the top and bottom bars to hold them tight in the middle..As for the fry, crushed flake food to a fine powder in a zip lock bag wil feed them. Take a pinch and swirl it in the water at the front of the tank so it will go to where they are, it will sink to them. You may have to do this fast as dad Severum may get your finger..Turn the lights off tonight and the fry wil go to the bottom and stay their until the light comes back on or your room lights up during the day. Your other fish will stay on the other side of the tank but you need the divider ASAP to save them..

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Posted by: severum man ()
Date: July 06, 2005 11:43PM

so where would i be able to find the divider at petsmart? i made a mistake its a 75 gallon tank not a 70 if it matter and also with the divider how will my other side of tank be filterd if the water is blocked off...sorry if these questions seem stupid but im new to this and im curious...they are fiesty fry and almost look neon yellow with blue dots and dad is constantly hittin them with his fins back to the front corner of the tank...the other fish seem scared to even come close especially the blue acara who usually runs the tank...thanks for the info...any other would be appreciated

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: July 06, 2005 11:48PM

Petsmart is where I got mine, they have the hard plastic ones. 75 gal is Ok for a good fit. On filters, U wil need another one for the other side. A smaller one would work.. Unless you get another tank, but that is stil going to need a filter and a heater..Turn your light off to calm everyone down..Free swimming fry usually drive mom and dad nuts trying to keep them in one spot..tongue sticking out smiley

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.