cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Sexing H. Venustus
Posted by: Susan ()
Date: March 08, 2000 01:26AM

How do I sex them? What are the identifying characteristics?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sexing H. Venustus
Posted by: Trena ()
Date: August 04, 2008 01:04PM

I have a cichlid that was the brightest orange with dark black stipes front to tail. In the past DAY, he/she??? has turned a dark DARK almost brownish color with barely any identyfiable stripes anymore. I have read before that sometimes males have a black stripe that goes all the way through the pupil, not just a stripe by the eye...

What is which, and what do you think is happeneing? Also, the only one I think IS a male turns a beautiful blue hue on its belly, which I also read was a sign of possible mating signs.

I have 3 in a 28 gallon tank along with 2 ACFs that all get on beautifully, despite the "expert" at the fish store that said the frogs would be killed by day one - that was 6 months ago...

I'm no expert, but I do know the difference between dead frogs and not dead ones. So what I need help with is the color change and any other signs mating may be about to or could occur? Who is what or which or however you'd say this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Hopefully this forum isn't as critical as the last couple - the people on there treated me like "HOW DARE YOU HAVE FISH! YOU'RE STUPID!" Well DUH!!! That is the reason I was asking for advice geniuses! (Watch me have spelled that wrong!) LOL

2 venus in same tank?
Posted by: shankar ()
Date: August 28, 2008 05:13AM

I have 2 venus. I feel one is male with full blue around his face and other is not so. I feel the other if female. The blue venus is continuously chasing the female and the female hides its body inside the leaves. So now I put a divider in between. Now both are fighting between the glass. Even the female shows as if it is brave. Is that okay, if I keep them again in the same place? Will the male kill the female? can some one please guide??

Re: 2 venus in same tank?
Posted by: kay-bee19 ()
Date: August 28, 2008 06:41AM

I wouldn't recommend keeping any less than 2 females for one male venustus (3-4 females with one male would perhaps be ideal). Additionally I would recommend keeping them in tanks at least 125gals or larger.

How large is your tank?

-----------------

Several Rift Lake and Reef Aquariums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 06:42AM by kay-bee19.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.