cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
sick cichlid?????
Posted by: cheryl wilson ()
Date: January 07, 2000 05:39PM

I need help. I had a pseudotropheus "something" He has been terrorizing everyone in the tank. I have 1 small morph, 2 rusty's and 1 slimline looks almost like a slimline version of the pseudo. This latter one has been rushed up to the top of the tank for almost 2 weeks. The pseudo has put everyone in their place. He does this all day long. We finally took him out, this is the second time we have taken him out and rearranged but has not improved his disposition. The (I'll call he/she a slimline version) for lack of knowing exactly what it is, is not laying on the bottom, still upright and looks as if her bottom jaw is swollen? We thought at first she might have eggs, but I am not so sure now. I do not know if this one is a male or female??? Her fins are not spread and the other night it was acting crazey doing loop-ti-loops. It does not do anything with the others, just sits on the bottom. I have seen it swim around a little, but it acts like it is dragging a bit. This one in the past has also been a terrorizor and the pseudo and it at times I could not tell if they were fighting or mating. I have seen these two lock lips and push and shove, but I have also seen the pseudo stand in one spot and shake it's whole body and swim around and round the "slimline" then act like they were mating with the other. This time the "slimline" I have seen it shake (violently) in one place when my very dark rusty has come up, but it just doesn't act at all normal since pseudo's been gone. But the pseudo I think would have eventually killed the others because they were not getting any food and was constantly being chased up to the corners of the tank. Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: sick cichlid?????
Posted by: cheryl wilson ()
Date: January 07, 2000 06:18PM

cheryl wilson wrote:
-------------------------------
I need help. I had a pseudotropheus "something" He has been terrorizing everyone in the tank. I have 1 small morph, 2 rusty's and 1 slimline looks almost like a slimline version of the pseudo. This latter one has been rushed up to the top of the tank for almost 2 weeks. The pseudo has put everyone in their place. He does this all day long. We finally took him out, this is the second time we have taken him out and rearranged but has not improved his disposition. The (I'll call he/she a slimline version) for lack of knowing exactly what it is, is not laying on the bottom, still upright and looks as if her bottom jaw is swollen? We thought at first she might have eggs, but I am not so sure now. I do not know if this one is a male or female??? Her fins are not spread and the other night it was acting crazey doing loop-ti-loops. It does not do anything with the others, just sits on the bottom. I have seen it swim around a little, but it acts like it is dragging a bit. This one ....

Posted by: BIG_CICHLID ()
Date: January 08, 2000 05:59AM

Sounds like you are not crowding them enough. Mbuna need crowding to keep hyper dominance becoming a factor. So, you need more fish to keep him at bay. Rustys (Iodotropheus Sperengae) is not a tough fish. Actually, will be very pushed around with most fish of the Pseudotropheus genre. So, more tankmates should work. What size is your tank?

BIG_CICHLID
[clubs.yahoo.com]

Posted by: julian ()
Date: January 29, 2000 08:24PM

sounds like he/she is stressing out bad. try adding more fish to your tank, take some of load off your hyper fish.

Posted by: Graham ()
Date: February 08, 2000 05:41AM

Help.

I have a very sick Oscar. If you recieve this message I'd like to communicate further

Re: RE: sick cichlid?????
Posted by: john rodger ()
Date: December 15, 2007 06:35PM

hi i need help my cichlids keep rubing there self along the bottom of the tank i have tested the ph an all the other water tests every thing is perfect what is cassing this

Re: RE: sick cichlid?????
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: December 15, 2007 11:12PM

Hey John, U need to start your own NEW TOPIC as ppl wil answer the first post and not yours.. At the top of every post, their is a NEW TOPIC , just click on that so U get individual help.. Thanks...

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.