cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Cichlids and Goldfish
Posted by: mahoo ()
Date: April 07, 2005 12:39AM

I have a 150gal tank with my 10" oscar i brought 10 colourless goldfish for him to eat and 9 have been eaten and 1 is still in the tank happy as larry. The goldfish has been there for 2 months now, this gold fish eats the cichlid pellets and is not worrying my oscar at all. i find this quite strange.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cichlids and Goldfish
Posted by: keetz ()
Date: April 07, 2005 10:02AM

I had the same thing happen with an oscar I had a few years ago, he just let one goldfish live. I kept it for about 6 months before just taking it up to the fish store, it had grown a good bit. I would put other feeder fish in there with them, but the Oscar just didn't eat him for some reason, he obviously got too big to be eaten. Unless you want a gold fish for as a pet, I would get rid of it as it is unlikely that it will be eaten or killed by the Oscar at this point.

Posted by: Terry ()
Date: April 07, 2005 11:50AM

One of the goldfish in my 75 gallon goldfish tank was an uneaten feeder fish. He was one of the little common goldfish and is now 10 inches long. His name is Jabba and he's beautiful, friendly and loves to be petted. Out of all my fish, cichlids included, he is my favorite.

Maybe your Oscar had enough of the goldfish after eating nine and has since become used to and comfortable with the presence of the last goldfish. They do get quite large, but also develope interesting personalities. You have a big tank so you may want to keep him.

Posted by: keetz ()
Date: April 07, 2005 12:57PM

I wouldn't keep the goldfish, they make a huge mess (dirty little buggars) which can throw off the ammonia levels (from all the food that collects on the bottom of the tank) in the tank, plus goldfish like much cooler water than Cichlids do. Its cool the Oscar likes him and all but I would get rid of it.

Posted by: Ian ()
Date: April 07, 2005 01:06PM

If the Oscar is the only fish in the tank then it could be that he is just lonely and wants a friend in the tank with him. My Jack Dempsey let one of her feeder fish live.. but then she got a husband.. he took care of it!winking smiley

Ian
10 Gal- Empty
10 Gal- Hospitial tank.
29 Gal- Empty (Thinking about saltwater)
55 Gal- One Male, One Female Green Terror + 150 fry.
55 Gal- One 6 inch Male Midas.
55 Gal- One Male, One Female Jack Dempsey With Pleco.
55 Gal- Female Oscar 7.5 inches (Temporary), Red Devil 4 inches

Date: April 07, 2005 01:08PM

I have 17 goldfish in my tank...you are right, they require double filtration, but I have not found any problem with keeping ammonia under control. Their tank has always read 0 level for ammonia and their gravel is the least dirty of all my tanks because once they eat they spend the next few hours picking up huge mouthfuls of gravel and sifting thru it for more food.

They are as easy to take care of as my cichlids and I don't have to clean up or watch their water conditions any more than I do the cichlids. One goldfish will not make any kind of difference in the water chemistry.

I did forget about the temperature though. I live in the deep south and they can take high temperatures, but prefer about 68 to 70. My tank is at 74 right now and they are no worse for it. I don't take any special precautions for them. I don't chill or heat their tank...they seem to adapt well to anything.

Posted by: F35 ()
Date: April 09, 2005 09:57AM

I've had a similar experience as well. Bought 15 Danios and put them in with my jack, he killed and ate all but one of them within about a week, kept the other one for months.

Peace eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Boatswanna ()
Date: April 23, 2005 10:06PM

My Oscar kept two of his feeder goldfish as "pets" for about a year. I think he may have wanted someone to boss around in the tank. My pleco pretty much ignored his occasional "bumps" and was for the most part just more decoration in the tank to him. The plus side to this is that the goldies eat the Oscar poop. They leave alot of poop themselves but it vacuums out easier than the O's. The downside is that you have to watch your water. I left on deployment and my wife and son didnt change the water as often as I do, and I almost lost my beloved O. The pleco and goldfish all died before she had the water tested at the lfs. Ammonia through the roof. You shouldnt have to change the water any more than normally for the O, but if you skip a change you may lose your Oscar over a $2 a dozen feeder.

Date: April 23, 2005 10:21PM

I don't get this. I have a 75 gallon tank with 13 very large various types of goldfish, 4 baby lionhead goldfish, a 4.5 inch Blue Opaline Guarami, 3 small chocolate albino bottom feeders and an 8 to 9 inch pleco and my tank has never had even so much as .25 ammonia...nothing. The water is perfect and I get a lot of compliments on that tank.

I don't know what I'm doing right, but I'm going to try to keep on doing it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.