cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
My new Oscar is not eating
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 01, 2005 04:12AM

Please advise'
I brought home (1) Tiger Oscar, (1)Albino Oscar and (1) Jack Dempsey two days ago and put them into my 55 GAL tank with the light on (opps, newbie here). At first, the Albino and the Tiger Oscars got frozen as soon as they got into the tank. I looked at them for a moment and started to worried, so I checked the water and it was fine, I decided to turn off the light, then they started moving. The trouble is my Albino Oscar does not eat at all. I tried to feed them floating pellets, flakes and bloodworms, but does not seems to care about eating. He just dances back and forth against his reflection off the tank. Please help, what can I do to get my fish to eat, I'm afraid that he will starved to death.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My new Oscar is not eating
Posted by: Mr. Limpet ()
Date: January 01, 2005 11:26AM

Try salt.

Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: January 01, 2005 11:36AM

Normal behavior for Oscars. The Albino should eat soon as he ajust to the tank. Oscars can go long periods and not eat. As you have only had him a few days, he is fine. IF he does not, try re-arranging the tank deco or add something "new" and see if gets his attention. A Tall fake plant, drift wood ect...They are swimmers and not "hiders" like the JD will be. My Oscar always swam in front of the tank wanting out, and he was in a 125 gal tank.

Oscars and JDs like the same water premiters, Hopefully you are close:

pH: 6.8 - 7.5
Temp: 74F to 80F (23c-26c)
Nitrites should always be 0ppm
Ammonia should always be 0ppm
Nitrates should be keep under 40ppm: you can keep this down by 30% water changes and vacuuming the grave weekly. Do them at the same time or your nitrates wil not come down.

And you know your tank of 55 gal is only going to be big enough for another 6 mos if that long. Two Oscars really cramp the space quicker.

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Posted by: Noel ()
Date: January 01, 2005 11:39AM

Fresh water aquarium salt is a good idea. Also give them a week or so to ajust to the new tank. If the others are eating keep feeding them but don't over feed to try and get the other oscar to eat. It will probably eat in time. They usually won't starve them selves. Fish can go for a while without eating. You will however need a bigger tank down the road. A 55 will eventully be to small for one oscar let alone 2 plus a dempsey. Hope this helps some.

Date: January 01, 2005 01:14PM

Thank you for all your advises, I noticed my Albino Oscar freezes every time I open the top cover for feeding, this morning Jack Demsey started to beet him up so I decided to move my Albino into my other 55 GAL tank (newly started just a week, but water checked OK, kind of weird, but I used water and rocks from my other tank to start it with) and in tis tank I have five hardy fishes (2 serpa tretras and 3 neon tretras). He is moving slowly now and not interested in eating those small fishes either. Do you think it is OK to put some Aquarium salt in this new tank?

Thanks very much

Date: January 01, 2005 02:58PM

The amount of salt to use in a freshwater aquarium is a good subject for debate in a forum like this, and I'm very interested in hearing other aquarists thoughts on this subject. Here are some of my own:

Whenever I set up a new tank and begin to stock it, I know I have two enemies against which salt has been proven effective: stress and nitrites. With the transport and introduction of new fish there's bound to be stress and until a good crop of nitrobacter sp. grows up, there's going to be an inevitable spike in nitrites, which will only add to the former. So, as a rule, I start out with a relatively high concentration of salt, 0.3% or 3 grams per liter!

I make a point of KNOWING the volume of my tanks by measuring the INSIDE dimensions (LxWxWATER LEVEL) in centimeters. My "125 gallon" tank, for example, measures at only 413 liters, a little over 109 gallons. After allowing for substrate and rocks and such, I figure it holds 400 liters of water. So I start it out with 1.2 kg of kosher salt, bought at the supermarket. (Diamond Crystal comes in a 3 lb. package, so after filling the salt shakers, that's almost the whole box.)

I try to avoid water changes during the first month, but test for ammonia every other day. If I do have to change some water, I generally don't replace the salt, but I keep track of the concentration. (e.g. If I do a 25% water change, I know I've removed 300 grams of salt, so the new concentration is .9kg / 400l=.00225 or 0.225%)

I don't start replacing salt until the concentration drops below 0.15%, and I only add enough to maintain this level. If for some reason stress becomes an issue, say with the introduction of new stock, or nitrites become a problem and fish start "flashing" I might bring the concentration up to ease the situation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2005 03:07PM by Mr. Limpet.

Date: January 01, 2005 03:53PM

Thank you Mr. Limpet, I will add some salt to my tanks and we will see what happen, and by the way, I just returned from the LFS with 2 more Silver Dollars for the tank with JD and Oscar, after reading some of the earlier meassages that these are dither fishes.

Date: January 01, 2005 08:40PM

Bob your tetras are going to eventully be lunch for your oscar. If not I would be VERY suprised. Mr.Limpet has some good advice on the salt but be sure you use non iodized salt. Regular table salt has iodine in it and will kill your fish.

Date: January 01, 2005 11:15PM

Thanks Noel,
I just started my 10 GAL tank and moved all my small fish in there now, didn't think I already end up with 3 tanks in a month.

Date: January 02, 2005 01:17AM

Yeah...that can happen...lol

Posted by: ItalianChic101 ()
Date: May 13, 2005 11:23PM

Wow that was all gibberish to me I'll just stick a few sea shells in the tank just reading it was giving me a headache and i got lost with the numbers. Word problems are not my best that's the chapter I failed in math. But I did get the science part makes sense I just afraid to add salt unless they were osmoregualtors (salmon, snook and so on)whatever I'll just do sea shells. tongue sticking out smiley thanx anyways

Ro$@ Simone
75 Gallons Brackish:
2 rope fish
4 Mono Sebae
1 Mono Argentus
1 Dwarf Puffer
1 Leopard Puffer
1 Coloumbian Shark
coming soon : archer fish

Date: May 13, 2005 11:32PM

Would it have made more sense if I had said "salt to taste"?!

Posted by: ItalianChic101 ()
Date: May 13, 2005 11:55PM

I do not know like I said I'll stick to put sea shells in the tank I'm fine with that LOL tongue sticking out smiley

Ro$@ Simone
75 Gallons Brackish:
2 rope fish
4 Mono Sebae
1 Mono Argentus
1 Dwarf Puffer
1 Leopard Puffer
1 Coloumbian Shark
coming soon : archer fish

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.