cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
red devil companions??
Posted by: kelli c ()
Date: February 10, 2001 09:41AM

I would like to get some ideas...I already have garamis,,,,,,it does not bother them.....and I have now two Jack dempseys ....one same size as the red devil and other is a baby one with an attitude...thanks to all who reply......kelli

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: red devil companions??
Posted by: D C ()
Date: February 10, 2001 03:48PM

I've given up totally on Devils. It's been my experience that only the largest of tanks can successfully house these guys with other species. It won't be long before your devil will establish territory, dig it's pit and really begin to pour it on. Your gourami's don't stand a chance, and the JD is not really considered to be all that aggressive. I once tried to pair Devils, after a week's time, the bigger female would not respond to the male's courting behavior, so he killed her overnight before I even knew she was in danger. And she was seven inches long compared to his six.

My suggestion: take it back to the store and get the credit before you regret it! Of course someone will post that they have no problems, but I'm only speaking from my own experience.

Posted by: Bird ()
Date: February 10, 2001 09:45PM

After hearing many accounts of devil behavior,it would be brutal to inflict this kind of hostility on devil tankmates in any thing but the largest of tanks.I've kept many central and south american cichlids but always avoided red devils because of this.I visit many cichlid discussion forums weekly and find many hobbyist having a problems dealing with their aggression.They do display attractive coloration but so do rattlesnakes.

Posted by: YodaMage ()
Date: February 13, 2001 09:58AM

You keep your RD alone (without a mate), so you wouldn't most likely see mating aggression. The dempseys tend to gang up to protect their own, which is good in this situation. I do mix fix that others think cannot be mixed, and always have, but a 55 is small for this situation. If the RD and Dempseys manage to co-exist in a 55, that is about all you can ask for. In a larger tank like a 125, you might be able to add a black belt, or a jaguar, or a terror.....but in a 55, you're done.

www.aquamaniacs.net

Posted by: Ragemaster4 ()
Date: February 13, 2001 11:26PM

Sigh, the Red Devils WILL kill the Jack Dempseys unless the aquarium is at least 400 litres in capacity. You've again got two choices, unfortunately, but you're going to have to seperate them. Good companions for Red Devils (providing the tank is large enough) include managuense (Jaguar) cichlids, dovii, Red Terrors and Trimacs. Any large, aggressive Central American Cichlid (with the exception of beani and umbriferus) would do fine.

Date: February 13, 2001 11:35PM

My managuense is much worse than my Devil, who is actually quite timid.

Posted by: fyrcrackr ()
Date: February 14, 2001 08:45PM

Hmmm...My RD seems to be fine. I have the RD, an Oscar and a Keyhole all about 3 1/2 inches, two paradise gouramis both about 2", a Clown Knife, a small handfull of a variety of Barbs (about 7 all together), a fish that I'm not sure if its a firemouth or a green terror, then I have the "cleaners" of the tank....a couple of red tail shark, a couple of bottom cats, a puffer fish, a clown loach.....

everything seems to get along just fine with the exception of the barbs which fight (kissing) among themselves.

Oh, I forgot to mention the 7" bluegill that I caught in the lake over a yr ago...he's my fave.

I guess I'm the one that is going to say that they dont have the probs with the RD...LOL

Posted by: D C ()
Date: February 14, 2001 09:09PM

Wow, you acclimated the bluegill to a tropical temp? Awesome. Normally cold water fish, but I s'pose location is the difference. Are you in a Southern state?

Date: February 15, 2001 01:22AM

Hi DC...I am in Southeast Texas, so the waters here are somewhat warmer...he's been a lot of fun to watch and has become so used to me that I can actually pet him. Going fishing tomorrow to see if I can find him a friend (or mate...hehe)

Date: February 16, 2001 08:02AM

That's the trap most beginners fall into. Red Devils are very peaceful when young and are easily bullied, but as they mature, they are hellraisers. Once they hit the 8", their temperament will become somewhat unpredictable. Of course, there will always be the odd one out; I have known a 10" Devil to co-exist with some assorted African Cichlids barely an inch! The thing is, to always be vigilant, because anything could happen. How large is your tank anyway? The Clown Knife reaches an awesome size of 40" (one metre) as an adult, and needs a tank of 400 gallons (1400 L) at least to be happy. No matter what, I'm sure the Devil will kill the Keyhole Cichlid (which only attains 5" as opposed to the devils 15"winking smiley and possibly the Oscar. I'm not sure about the Bluegill, but they should be able to stand up for themselves up to a certain point - after that they too will fall victim to the Devil.

Posted by: buckey ()
Date: February 16, 2001 06:32PM

I would agree totally about being unpredictable. I put a 2" devil in with a bunch of other south americans and everyone got along just fine. But heres where things change when the dvil got about 7-8" I decided to move them all to a larger tank for more room.There was no change in the occcupant from the other tank all the same fish. Thats when the Devil went on a terror and killed all the others overnight. So dont be fooled by your devils gentel nature things will change without warning

Date: February 16, 2001 09:45PM

I know that eventually I will have to expand/seperate/etc....but for now everything is fine and beautiful to watch. My RD and Keyhole actually roam the tank together as if they are best friends in a community tank...lol. The bluegill is definately king of the tank, has his own territory, but doesnt "mess" with the other fish except to chase off from his section of the world, doesnt try to bite or harrass otherwise. He's still my fave. Just yesterday I moved my Clown Knife into a 10g all to himself (no bigger than he is there is PLENTY of room for now) but I did that so he would hopefully grow a little faster. My pet shop currently has a CK that is about 28 inches.....beautiful.

Posted by: RCB ()
Date: February 19, 2001 02:48AM

Personally, I think RD's can be a really bad idea unless you want a species tank or a very limited selection of tankmates. Where I live, if one of my fish died, I'd be screwed. You can't just go into a store and buy a full grown cichlid--I haven't even seen a cichlid over 5 inch for sale around here (except for some that I sold myself). If I needed a replacement cichlid (I am very weird about my tanks--I once raised a tank of 30 convicts just to pick one I liked....), it might take over a year to grow one big enough that it can go in with the others. RD's just have a tendency to go nuts for no reason and kill everything in sight. Too bad though--if one has the $$$ to run a big tank just for them, they are really cool.

Posted by: Wayne ()
Date: February 21, 2001 09:36PM

Rage
Why beani & umbie...not sure what ur saying? They wouldn't survive or too aggressive?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.