cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Snail Eaters
Posted by: Ryne ()
Date: January 01, 2001 12:37PM

I'm starting to get sick of removing snails out of my 10 gallon aquarium all the time. I'm trying to find a Checkerboard Lyretail (Crenicara filamentosa) to eat the snails, but none of the pet shops have them. Does anyone know of a peaceful cichlid I can put in my 10 gallon aquarium that will eat the snails?
I have a Green Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis pumilis), and 2 Peppered Corydoras (Corydoras palaetus) in the aquarium already.

Happy New Year!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Snail Eaters
Posted by: ponygirl ()
Date: January 01, 2001 01:25PM

the one fish that I know that loves snails is the clown loach. Most pet stores carry them but I'm not sure if this fish will get along with the ones you have. You'll have to ask the pros!
Is the checkerbord lyretail an african species?
I too have snails, but I love em to death, except for the tadpole snails, those things breed like crazy! There not too much trouble in the community tank but the tank I put the young fish in there are lots of babies and tons of egg cluches.

I have another question for anybody to answer. I regularly throw the young snails in the cichlid tank to get rid of them. Do the cichlids eat them? I also have a very large pleco in there, will he eat them? I only occasionally see a snail in the tank but its a big tank, they might not be eating them.
I also notice that the cichlids realy like the algea waffers we put in there for the pleco, I'm guessing that the waffers won't harm them. Its fun watching them all try to eat it and chase after each other for it, until the pleco gets it, they're all afraid of him!

Posted by: Mbunaman ()
Date: January 01, 2001 06:08PM

My Pleco isnt so lucky. My Cichlids chace him away when he is eating an alge waffer. I wind up putting in 2 every day and he still doesnt get enough.

Date: January 01, 2001 06:32PM

I think the size helps, he's a bit bigger than all the other fish. I don't know the scientific name but he's a "sharp nose" pleco. He's not the most atractive but still neat looking. He can devour one of those waffers in 3 minutes!!

Date: January 01, 2001 06:59PM

I found another snail eating cichlid, a Chilotiapia rhoadesi. They are supposed to be a community fish, in a cichlid tank. So I have no idea if they would get along with your fish.

Posted by: RCB ()
Date: January 02, 2001 02:21PM

I had cichlids that chased the pleco too--also only when he was eating an algae wafer. Since it was a new tank anyway, I just went and exchanged him for a really big one, who the cichlids wouldn't go near.

Anyway, I had snails before (who hasn't)--I just put two holes in an empty fish food can, stuffed it with filter floss, and put it on my powerhead (the intake). Then a hose goes from the other hole to your hand, and you can just suck the snails up like you were siphoning your gravel. It's a lot quicker than it sounds--just put the hose over a snail, and bump it with the edge of the hose so it comes off the glass. The snail will go into that fish food can, never to be seen again.

Date: January 02, 2001 05:41PM

Very cool idea, I know it's real easy to get rid of the tiny babies by just siphoning the gravel, but I would of never though of that!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.