cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
Cichlids - fighting or mating?
Posted by: Angela ()
Date: November 24, 2004 09:50AM

Hi,

I have been keeping a mixture of African and American Cichlids for many years and have had succesful breedings of both the Africans and Americans of the same species. I just read that some species can interbreed and have observed some strange behavior with a Green Sevron and a Jack Dempsey that have lived together for a long time. The Green Sevron was a lot bigger than the Dempsey until recently and they did not fight much but would chase each other every once in a while. Lately I noticed the two literally locking lips and playing what seemed like a tug of war, they did this sort of dance around the tank for the last few days and now the Dempsey has taken to hiding between two rocks at the bottom of the tank ( and fanning its fins). I am wondering if this is breeding behavior or territorial. Can these two species interbreed? Does anyone know and if so is this the type of behavior to expect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cichlids - fighting or mating?
Posted by: Barb OKla ()
Date: November 24, 2004 12:03PM

I have Jacks and Severums together and they respect each other as in no aggression to each other. The severum is a male, and the JD is a female. Severum males have a more deeper throat, and the squiggly lines on the face area are more prominate. On JD's, the female will have the blue color on her gill plates. Female JD's are more aggressive. Sounds like the JD is wanting more room in the tank as it gets bigger. Severums swim everywhere, but JD's are more 'cave dwellers'. Sounds like a terrotorial dispute with the lip locking. My Male Green Terror is more of an issue with the severum, as I have a female GT and it seems to irratate the situation as the Severum is a male.
You don't say how big your tank is. Mine are in a 125 gal. Lots of room, lots of caves, but once you get a pair (same species) it kind of stresses the tank.
A smaller tank will really make it more of an issue for terratory.
Try re-arranging the tank, new caves, plants. They will have to find new Terratories, gives them something else to do besides pick on each other.

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Posted by: Freaky Jason ()
Date: November 24, 2004 04:46PM

it is possible that they could breed but it is also highly doubtful. probably a territorial dispute, and like barb said dempseys like to hide a lot anyway. adding some floating plants or reducing the lighting may help to bring it out more.

I have to disagree with one thing Barb said though...I've had several dempseys over the years and in my experience the males have always been substantially more aggressive than the females. only during breeding would I say a female might become more aggressive.

Posted by: Barb OKla ()
Date: November 24, 2004 05:02PM

Trade you dempseys! That also shows that every fish are different.

It is more than a container with fish!!

My site: Great information for your fish keeping:

[aquatichobby.proboards.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.