cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
male or female red devil?
Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: August 16, 2004 02:43AM

I recently perchased a 3 inch red devil from a local aquarium and at first I thought it was a female because the dorsal fin was short and rounded, but it dominated my tank along with a male managuense cichlid. when I came back from a trip the red devils dorsal fin was sligthly pointed and longer and its forehead shows a slight edge. just the other day, I bougth a male red devil and it was a male for sure. when I put it in the tank, the unknown red devil was beating him up and left him dead the next morning. another thing can a female red devil dominate a community tank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: male or female red devil?
Posted by: ken harris ()
Date: August 16, 2004 04:11PM

cool, i am not the only one to have this problem, my unknown red devil killed its two tank mates, also red devils, and now is enjoying his/her own little tank, let me know what you find out!

Ken

Odessa,TX

Posted by: Clinton ()
Date: August 17, 2004 03:51AM

It doesnt matter , male or female it will rule the tank or die trying . Most of the time the male gets a hump on the forehead but it is really to young to tell at this time. Mine is about 6 inches and i still cant tell right now , showing some hump but still in ?

Posted by: FUBAR ()
Date: August 17, 2004 10:28AM

Congrats to all of you.
As you own my Fav tank killer. No matter what size tank and what breed you have with the red devil you are sure to have dead fish. Wait till you find out its a male with a huge lump on his head. For fun I put 2 med oscars 1 med jack dempsey and a med texas cichlid in a 200 gal tank and in days my devil killed all 4 fish. I had a blue lobster for a few months and went away for a couple days and came back to find it gone. Anyone know why my red devil lets me pet his lump when I feed him.
I named him prince of darkness

Posted by: ken harris ()
Date: August 17, 2004 02:15PM

if i had a lump on my head it might feel good to have it rubbed.... anyway, he is sizing you up....remember the killer goldfish on southpark???? does he stare at you too????, man it sounds like you have one evil little fish....hahahah, just a bit of laughter before feeding time!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.