cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
laying eggs with no mate??
Posted by: bgideons ()
Date: June 19, 2004 08:52PM

i have a blood parrot that recently made a nest and layed eggs on the underneath of a plastic log and guards it furiously. i have heard that these fish can breed with other varieties of cichlids the only other cichlid i have is a jack dempsey about 1 inch larger than my blood parrot. and i have no knowledge of these two species breeding. also they completely ignore each other for the most part. when i first put dempsey in the tank he got chased quite a bit by ol' bloody but now they almost completey ignore each other unless of course he gets to close to bloody. so my question is can these two fish breed together or do parrots often just lay eggs without a mate. thanx for any advise smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: laying eggs with no mate??
Posted by: Barb Okla ()
Date: June 20, 2004 02:19AM

Yes they can, but a female when mature will lay eggs without a male. If they have spawned together, he would be helping her protect the eggs. You will know for sure in 3 to 4 days when and IF they hatch. But most will eat the eggs before or right at hatch day.

Posted by: Joe ()
Date: June 21, 2004 11:24AM

I've always heard that blood parrots are sterile due to hybridization. they can lay eggs but they aren't viable to fertilize even if the JD wanted to. It is normal for a femal cichlid to lay eggs once mature even without a male. They will do this every 3 weeks or so.

Posted by: bgideons ()
Date: June 21, 2004 07:03PM

females can breed however males are sterile. at least this is what all the breeders say. well 98% or so of males are infertile

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.