cichlids.com

Cichlids :  cichlids.com Forums
Discussions about cichlids in general 
90 Gallon Tank
Posted by: Laura ()
Date: April 21, 2004 11:47AM

Hi I am reposting this same post from the African side because I am not getting much response and hoping I get more here. . I have a 90 gallon tank with 23 cichlids all small still about 3 inches. I also have a Synodontis petricola catfish and one pleco. This is my first tank. I have a few ?'s first how often and how much should I feed them I have flakes, pelets, blood worms, and brine shrimp. We do water changes about 25 % a week. I have taken my water in and had it checked by the store and they said it is perfect. We add conditoners when we do water changes. The fish I know the names of are: 2 jewel, 2 green terror, 1 parrot, 1 convict, 2 snowflake, 1 red zebra, 1 blue zebra, 2 NIMBOCHROMIS VENUSTUS Giraffe, 2 clown loach, 2 MELANOCHROMIS AURATUS, 1 multi colored peacock, 2 electric blue Johannis, 1 yellow lab, 1 sunshine peacock. and an electric blue Jack Dempsey We did have Another red zebra, yellow lab, polleni, and Jack Dempsey. One by one they have died and we have replaced them. The Polleni was mean and had been chasing the crap out of the others so we got rid of him thinking he was the killer. Now I have a new dead one this am. Any ideas?

Laura

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 90 Gallon Tank
Posted by: Grbaillif ()
Date: April 21, 2004 03:01PM

First off I see you are mixing africans with south and central americans. The fish require two different pH levels. The africans need a higher pH around 8 to 8.2 and the south and central americans for the most part stick to around 7 or a neutral water pH. I don't know what your water pH is but I'm sure its favoring one of the two types you have in that tank. I never had africans before so I'm not sure what kind of effect a 7 pH would have on those fish over a long period of time, but my guess is it would interfere with their ability to digest or carry out functions at the cellular level.

Secondly your tank is overstocked. The two green terrors will probably grow to about 8-10 inches a piece provided they are male and female, otherwise they will probably be very aggressive towards each other. Your Jack dempsey also gets rather large and theres no telling how those guys will react to the africans. Plecos can also get very large up to 18 inches, although personally I'd sell mine before it got that big because they stop eating algae when they do.

I don't know how long your tank has been running or whether or not it is really cycled, but I will assume that from your water test at the LFS that it is. When you examined the dead fish did it look like they were killed by an attack or did they die mysteriously?

My advice to you would be to decide what you really want to keep, the africans or the south and central americans. Since its your first tank you should probably decide which ones you want to keep based on your pH level in your water.

29 Gallon tank
1 Black convict

75 Gallon
1 Green Terror
5 Tiger Barbs
1 Pleco

29 gallon quarantine
3 blushing tiger barbs
2 tiger barbs
1 male convict cichlid
1 Jewel cichlid
3 Siamese Algae eaters

Posted by: ghost0011ca ()
Date: April 21, 2004 04:24PM

where are you located will give me an idea on what you should keep and what is the water ph level of tap water with no buffers

Date: April 21, 2004 04:26PM

Thank you for the advise. The pet sotre gave me conflicting information. I did research but could never dine exact info of what to put together and how many.

The first death was a red zebra had a blood mark on its head and one on its side. The second was a jack dempsey and part of his tail was gone but could have been when we got him too. The polleni was chased to death by the other polleni and the red zebra was mysterious. Not really sure what is happening could be nothing. Hasn't anyone ever had a combonation tank and had it be successful?

Laura

Date: April 21, 2004 04:27PM

I live in Western NY.

Posted by: Grbaillif ()
Date: April 21, 2004 06:48PM

I hear of people having combo tanks alot but they were with specific fish. Like you could most likely keep a convict with africans because convicts could handle a pH around 8 and be fine with it. The problem with your choice of fish is that the Jacks and Green terrors get quite large and often are pretty territorial, you could end up with alot of dead africans in a pretty short period of time once they started to get larger. Getting that many fish at once and just adding new ones in when others die is asking for a pathogen breakout. We are kind of partial on this side to south and central americans so most of us would tell you to get rid of those colorful guppies (the africans) and raise those american cichlids right.

And be wary of petstore information. Alot of them dont know what they are talking about.

Post Edited (04-21-04 22:50)

29 Gallon tank
1 Black convict

75 Gallon
1 Green Terror
5 Tiger Barbs
1 Pleco

29 gallon quarantine
3 blushing tiger barbs
2 tiger barbs
1 male convict cichlid
1 Jewel cichlid
3 Siamese Algae eaters

Posted by: kwaynetwo ()
Date: April 22, 2004 03:29AM

Well Laura I doing what your doing now that is a MIX TANK I have africain and center american and native fishs in my 55 gal tank. I would suggest going and get a test kit for you tank yes the pet store tested it but what is your water now and with that many fish you could have alot of nitrates and amonia I would suggest changing your water 2 x weekly. I would only feed them in the morning and at night enought they comsume it all in 5 mins. I agree you have to many fish and they are right you do have some that well get HUGE. But it your tank as for the PH i have had no problem with that I would suggest putting it at about 7.5 and what is your temp I would also suggest it about 78 degrees. it the most neutral you can do for your fish that is what my tank set at and I have had no problem but you have to keep it very clean for the amount of fish you have. I have cons, oscars,jewels,algie eaters, KY BlueGill,Catfish and some other catfish bottom feeder. So I Agree with Grbaillif you can do it. But you will have alot of work with the more fish you get and the bigger they get. I would also suggest that you watch them to see if they are pick on each other. YOU will NEED ALOT OF HIDING PLACES FOR THEM WITH THAT MANY FISH.

I HOPE THIS HELPS,

KEN

Date: April 22, 2004 11:20AM

Thank you Ken. I have LOTS and LOTS of caves for them to hide in I also have a pot some plants dug out spots. I do clean the tanks 2X's a week I also scoop all of the food out that doesn't get comsumed right away. I intend on watching it VERY carefully. No one is picking on anyone at the moment. The main reason I got this many is becuase I read that you need a lot of them to keep down the aggression. I also was given bad info. I will have to see how it goes and adjust accordingly. I LOVE all of them don't want to get rid of any of them. I will just have to get another tank or two. Thanks for the advise.

Posted by: ghost0011ca ()
Date: April 22, 2004 10:40PM

laura you living in NY state the water PH is idea for the most part naturaly NY/OHIO/MICH/and ONTARIO are pretty much the same hardness factor without doing anything to it as for the amount of fish you have two ways to look at it and neither is right or wrong theres nothing wrong with over crowding to a certain extent keeps the aggression down on the other side youll see people saying way to many fish take some out and you creat an aggressive tank i personaly have both kinds of tanks set up i always keep an extra male in the tank when i have harems keeps the dominant male from over chasing the females and once in a while the non dominating male gets lucky
as for the tank in my living room its full and no aggression to speak of iv got africans and south american cichlids together hers whats in it
red and cobalt zebras / kenyi / rams / jewels /and convicts
the setup is as follows
white sand alot of slate no caves just tunnels they are just big enoff that the fish can lay in them not big enoff to realy call it their territory
all fish are full grown or very close to being full grown
this tank has been going for almost 6 months and not one dead fish
i dont know what im doing right but ive experimented on my feedings and ive found that if i feed them more often and littlier amounts it works all food is consumed within a minute

come chat with some very knowledgeable people were all fish-heads my id is the same as here
[cichlid-forum.com]

Date: April 23, 2004 12:16AM

Thank you for the information. I have been doing what you said and feeding them less amounts more often. What do you do about feeding since someone said they are supposed to eat differently? I have lots of slate also my brother is a landscaper so it somes free. They really seem to like the set up. Thank you for the info about the water that is what the store said but I still wanted to make sure. I would rather have them overcrowded than dead. If they don't die I will be happy.

Laura

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.